Britz Terms & Conditions
Travel 01 April 2014 - 31 March 2015
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are open all public holidays except Christmas Day (25 December).
A $50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- New Years Day (1st January)
- Day after New Years Day (2nd January)
- Waitangi Day (6th February)
- Good Friday (18th April)
- Easter Monday (21st April)
- ANZAC Day (25th April)
- Queens Birthday (2nd June)
- Labour Day (27th October)
- Boxing Day (26th December)
Standard Daily Rates Include
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- Bedding & Linen Kits*
- Extra Driver Fees
- Tourism Radio
- Airport transfers upon vehicle collection and return
- Kitchen Equipment*
- General Equipment*
- Supermarket Discount Card
- Customer Care 24 hour, 7 days per week Road-service Helpline (toll free)
- Travel Wallet including map of New Zealand with driving tips and travel information
- New Zealand leading attractions map including discounts to iconic tourist attractions
- Driver goes free to Waitomo Gloworm Caves
*Goods and Services Tax (GST)
GST is a New Zealand Government imposed tax. GST is included in all Britz rates and is currently 15%. Britz reserves the right to amend GST upon Government intervention.
*Bedding & Linen Kits
Includes pillow, pillowcase, sheet and towel per person plus one duvet per bed.
Includes pegs, dustpan/brush fire extinguisher, bucket/hose, broom, matches, coat hangers and toilet chemicals.
Includes plates, bowls, cups, glasses, knives, forks, spoons, bottle/can opener, mixing bowls, colander, saucepans, frying pans, cooking utensils, chopping board, kettle, teapot, toaster and tea towel.
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is payable per day in addition to the daily rental rate and can only be done via our website upon booking NOT on arrival at the branch.
Stress Free Package Inclusions
- Liability Reduction Option 2 - $0 Liability*
- One Way Fee Waived
- Unlimited Tyre & Windscreen Accidental Damage Cover
- Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF) if applicable*
- Pre-Purchase Gas (PGO)*
- Outdoor Table & Chairs
- Portable Heater
- Snow Chains
*Liability Reduction Option 2
This option reduces the Liability Fee for 2WD Motorhomes from NZ$7,500 to NIL.
*Pre Purchase Gas Option (PGO)
This allows the customer to return the vehicle without the need for the gas bottle to be replenished. The gas bottle is used to operate the gas stove and to heat the hot water in vehicles with a hot water facility.
Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF)
The RUCRF fee is included in the Stress Free Package. If the Stress free Package has not been selected the Diesel Tax Recovery fee will be calculated on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicle rates per 100km are as follows:
|Vehicle||Cost per 100km|
|2 Berth Diesel||$5.32|
|2 Berth TS||$5.32|
Britz reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to changes in Government Road User Charges.
Long Hire Rentals
All rentals 50 days or longer (including multiple rentals) will have the added advantage of:
- Linen exchange service
- Free extra Linen per bed
- Valet Service*
- Vehicle Safe Service Check*
- LPG Gas Bottle Exchange*
* Linen Exchange Service - Britz customers may exchange their linen and bedding during their rental at any time at any Britz branch.
* Valet Service - customers may visit any Britz location while on hire to have their vehicle detailed. Please call ahead by a minimum of 48 hours for this service.
* Vehicle Safe Service Check - customers may visit any Britz location while on hire to have checks carried out on oil and water, visual brake pads, tyre and windscreen wiper blades. Please call ahead by a minimum of 48 hours for this service.
* LPG Gas Bottle Exchange - allows the customer to swap the LPG Gas bottle at any time at any of our branches. The gas bottle is used to operate the gas stove and to heat the hot water in vehicles with a hot water facility.
Early Bird Discount
An Early Bird discount of 5% off the daily vehicle rate will apply to bookings made 120 days or more before the travel date of booking. This discount does not apply to the Britz Bonus Pack. The Early Bird discount can be combined with longer term hire discounts.
Standard Liability & Vehicle Insurance
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. We strongly recommend that all people travelling in New Zealand take out Personal Travel Insurance.
In the USA liability is referred to as the deductible.
All Vehicles are insured for the damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is responsible for the first NZ$7,500 of ANY ACCIDENT COST of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident, windscreen and tyre damage (does not include single vehicle roll over), towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break in or vandalism with the exception of the exclusions. This also includes the cost of the daily rental rate for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs. The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability fee will be refunded if Britz is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Thrid Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
The Standard Liability can be reduced by purchasing one of the following:
Liability Reduction Options (LRO)
|Cost per Day||Liability Fee||Bond Payable|
|Standard||Included in Rental||$7,500||$7,500|
|LRO 1||$29 (max $1,450)||$2,500||$2,500|
|LRO 2||$45 (max $2,250)||$0||$250|
|Stress Free Package*||$65 (max $3,250)||$0||$250|
|Additional Protection||$79 per rental||$0||$250|
*Stress Free Package includes LRO 2 & Bonus Items. This option must be selected at time of booking or prior to pick up.
Additional Protection Coverage
Where the hirer purchases Additional Protection Coverage the cost of damage resulting from a single
vehicle roll over will be covered. Additional Protection Coverage can only be purchased in conjunction with Liability Reduction Option 2 or the Stress Free Package.
Tyre and Windscreen Damage
Where a NIL liability is present unlimited windscreen and tyres will be covered for accidental damge.
All insurance cover will be made void if any of the following Exclusions are breached:
- Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle - except where Liability Reduction Option 2 or the Stress Free Package has been purchased (does not cover single vehicle rollover)
- Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be sued for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
- Any water related damage, which includes but is not limited to:
- any vehicle submersion
- creek or river crossing
- driving through flooded areas
- beach driving
- Personal belongings: we recommend the hirer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they have insurance to cover the loss/damage of personal belongings
- Any damage caused by willful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle) a
- A single vehicle roll over occurs except where Additional Protection Coverage has been purchased.
- Damage caused to the vehicle by snow chains.
- Any damage caused whiledriving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The incorrect use of fuel or the use of Bio Diesel which should not be used (fuel being diesel or petrol), or water or other contamination of fuel.
- The cost to retrieve or recover a vehicle which has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in any way and/or has been abandoned.
- The cost to replace keys which have become lost, or retrieval of keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
- Drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or that have a licence that has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary.
- The vehicle may only be used to carry the maxinum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type.
Vehicle Security Deposit or Bond
Upon vehicle collection, a security deposit is required. The amount is determined by the Liability Reduction Option selected. The vehiicle security deposit is applicable regardless if the hirer has purchased private travel insurance.
For security purposes, only a credit card can be used for payment of bond. The credit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicles security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle. Any type of prepaid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit. Visa and MasterCard debit cards are acceptable provided the card is being used as a credit card.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic Credit cards are not accepted for Bond Payments. An electronic credit card is one where the numbers are not raised.
Debited vehicle security deposits are subject to a 2% credit card administration fee in addition to the bond amount when the credit card used is either Visa or Mastercard or 4.6% for American Express. These surcharges will be refunded when the vehicle security deposit is refunded.
If a Liability Reduction option is not selected, the security deposit is NZ$7,500 payable by credit card. When no Liabiilty Reduction Option or Option 1 is selected, it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit card for the bond amount when the vehicle is collected, and that the amount does not exceed the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit card.
When Liability Reduction Option 2 is selected, the amount is taken as an imprint to the hirers credit card when the vehicle is collected.
Britz reserves the right to retain an NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and waste water tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
The Security Deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the
vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and with full fuel tank (Fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased PGO (PGO is included in the Stress Free Package) and/or Pre Purchase Fuel (PPF), failure to return the vehicle with full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon returning the vehicle.
For Security purposes, only the hirers credit card can be used for the Refundable Bond.
Exchange Rate/Currency Variations
All credit and debit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand Dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and/or bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Britz does not accept any liability for variances up or down.
Credit and Debit Cards
The credit or debit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit cards are Visa Card, Mastercard and American Express. A non-refundable 2% administration fee will apply to all Visa and Mastercard transactions (4.6% applies to American Express). Credit card administration fees also apply to debited security bonds and only the hirers credit card is acceptable to use for the purpose of the security bond.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
We will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur we will charge for the shortfall.
Agent Non Payment
In the case where pre-payment is required and this has not been made the hirer agrees to pay the full costs to Britz.
A current and full motor vehicle drivers licence is required and must be presented upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current Internatonal Driving Permit issued in the same country as the drivers licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over.
Additional items are to be requested at time of reservation or upon vehicle collection and paid by customer on the day of vehicle collection (in NZ dollars):
- Picnic Table - NZ$25 per rental
- Picnic Chair - NZ$18 per rental
- Baby / Booster Seat* - NZ$36 per rental
- Portable Heater - NZ$16 per rental
- Snow Chains - NZ$36 per rental (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- First Aid Kit - NZ$35 for purchase (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- Souvenir Road Atlas - From NZ$25 for purchase
- Pre-Purchase Gas (PGO) - From NZ$28 - $38 (depending on vehicle choice)
- Pre-Purchase Fuel Option - Details on request
- Portable Hand-Held Shower - NZ$16 per rental
- GPS - NZ$10 per day (max NZ$100 per hire)
- Electical Adaptor - NZ$14 for purchase
- Toilet Emptying Service*
Charges for additional products and services will be charged per hire.
*On drop off of vehicle, customers will have the convenience of having the toilet emptied for them
Outdoor table and chairs, pre-purchase gas option, portable heater, (if required) and snow chains (if required) are included in the Stress Free Package.
Note that not all Britz vehicles can accommodate child restraint equipment. Childseats depending on the childs age are commonly used for children 3 years or less. Reversible childseats or capsules are used so that an infant can be accommodated when required. Booster seats again depending on the childs size are commonly used for children between 3 and 8 years of age. All child restraunt equipment is to be fitted by the hirer facing foward, in the appropriate seat/s and cannot be situated on side facing seats.
- Rental days are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicles return is counted as the final day of the rental. Vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
- Minimum rental periods is 5 days with the exception of hires with a collection date between 20 December and 10 January, which require a minimum of 10 days
- Minimum rental period is 10 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being returned to the South Island if the rental commences between the months of October through to March.
- Minimum rental period is subject to change during peak periods.
- For rentals 50 days or more (including multiple hires), please refer to the "Long Hire Rental" section of this document. All requests for quotes and bookings of 50 days or more should be directed first to Reservations.
- Late Pick-up or early return of vehicle does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
- If a customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from reservations or any of the Britz branches. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of NZ$150 in addition to the daily rate.
2WD Campervans can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well maintained roads.
No vehicle is permitted to travel on:
- Skippers Road (Queenstown)
- Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
- Ball Hut Road( Mt Cook)
- Bluff Road that runs between Kuatunu and Mataurangi
- North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula)
Britz reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Change of Drop-Off Destination
If the customers wishes to change the drop-off destination, they must first obtain authorisation from the Reservations or Scheduling departments.
Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to NZ$750 may apply.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the vehicle rate. Consecutive campervan hire in Australia and South Africa for Britz, maui and KEA and in New Zealand for Britz, maui, KEA, United and Alpha can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period. For all rentals to qualify each booking needs to be made at the same time. If a customer makes another booking at a later time, the new booking can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period however, the original booking/s will only qualify for a discount if the booking/s are not already travelling or travelled.
Note that 2WD car hire cannot be combined with any campervan hire to qualify for longer-term discounts
Longer-term discounts must be requested at time of booking.
For campervans that pick up and drop off on the same day, the less expensive rental day will be free of charge. This also applies to the Liability Reduction option or the Stress Free Package if applicable.
If multiple hires are within the same country and total days exceed 50 days only the maximum charge applicable to Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package will apply. If combining a vehicle hire with another Britz vehicle that has a more expensive Stress Free Package or Liability Reduction Option, the more expensive Stress Free Package / Liability Reduction maximum cost is applied. In the instance where a Britz hire is being combined with a Maui, United and Alpha hire and the packages have either the Stress Free Package or Liability Reduction Options, these components cannot be combined to have a maximum charge applied, however the vehicle rate can have a longer-term discount applied if applicable.
For rentals 50 days or more (including multiple hires), please refer to the "Long Hire Rental" section of this document. All requests for quotes and bookings of 50 days or more should be directed first to Reservations.
Vehicle security deposits can be transferred between most multiple rentals. This service is available when the booked products are campervans and the vehicle security deposit amount is the same.
A One-way rental fee of NZ$300 is charged for rentals between the North and South Islands and vice versa, where pick up is between 01 October and 31 March.
The one-way fee if applicable is charged per hire.
The one-way fee is included in the Stress Free Package.
Vehicle collections and returns in Queenstown incur a NZ$210 location fee (same city collection and return, one fee applies). This is in addition to the one-way fee if applicable.
Public Holiday Surcharge
A NZ$50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays.
We provide free airport to branch and branch to airport transfer on day of arrival and departure for our Auckland and Christchurch and Queenstown Branches.
Britz reserves the right to charge the hirer for any speeding, parking, freedom camping or tollway fines, associated administration costs and/or accidents including third party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle. In addition to these costs, Britz reserve the right to charge for associated administration costs for processing the fines (irrespective of liability) and/or all insurance claims in the event of the customer not having NIL liability. In addition to costs per fine and/or insurance claim, the administration fee of NZ$60 will be applicable.
Customer Care On-Road Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Britz as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Britz the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compenstion. We do not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact us on free phone: 0800 788 558
Repairs up to NZ$200 may be affected wthout authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt. For amounts over NZ$200, Britz will need to be informed in advance. Repairs will be approved provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. Receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked be unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Britz reserve the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only by vehicle category.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
Cancellation and Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled up to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit or 20%
(whichever is higher)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Britz reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in our vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Note: Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.