Maui Terms and Conditions
Travel 01 April 2015- 31 March 2016
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are closed Christmas Day (25 December).
A $50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- New Years Day
- Day after New Years Day
- Waitangi Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- ANZAC Day
- Queens Birthday
- Labour Day
- Boxing Day
Included in Daily Standard Rate
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Vehicle Insurance - Liability Applies
- 24 hour Roadside Assistance
- Complimentary Airport Transfer
- Bedding & Linen Kits*
- General Equipment*
- GPS included with all Vehicles
- Kitchen Equipment*
- Extra Driver Fees
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)*
- Tourism Radio
- Valet Service* for hires 21 days or more
- Supermarket Discount Card
- Maps & Campground Guides
- Tourist Information & Discount Booklet
- Driver goes free to Waitomo Glowworm Caves
*Goods & Services Tax (GST)
GST is a New Zealand Government imposed tax. GST is included in all Maui rates and is currently 15%. Maui reserves the right to amend GST upon Government intervention.
*Apartment Style Kitchen Equipment
includes quality plates, bowls and cups. Wine and drinking glasses. Superior cutlery and cooking utensils. Bottle/can opener, mixing bowls, colander, saucepans, frying pans, chopping board, gas kettle, electric jug, coffee plunger, toaster and tea towel.
*Freshly Laundered Linen & Bedding
Includes pillow, pillowcase, sheet and towel per person plus one duvet (doona) per bed. maui customers may also exchange their linen and bedding during their rental at any maui branch.
Includes pegs, dustpan/brush, fire extinguisher, bucket/hose, broom, matches, ice cube tray, clothes hangers and a floor safe. General equipment also includes starter items that are designed to provide the customer with some basic requirements as might be needed at the beginning of a hire, before the customer has had an opportunity to visit a supermarket and includes dishwashing detergent, disposable gloves, biodegradable bin liner, toilet roll and biodegradable toilet chemicals.
Customers on hires of 21 days or more in length (does not include multiple hires) may visit any Maui location while on hire to have their vehicle detailed and oil and water checked. Please call ahead by a
minimum of 48 hours for this service. Where available a car will be supplied to the customer for use while the motorhome is being detailed.
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is NZ$65 per day (maximum NZ$3,250 per rental) and is payable in addition to the daily gross rental rate. The inclusions on the Stress Free Package are as follows -
- Vehicle Insurance - $0 Liability
- Tyre & Windscreen Cover
- Overhead & Underbody Damage Cover
- One Way Fee Waived
- Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF)*
- Pre Purchase Gas Option (PGO)*
- Camp Chairs & Table
- Baby / Booster seat - on request (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- Snow Chains
- Portable Heater
- LPG Gas Bottle exchange*
- MP3 Connectivity
- Express Key Return
*Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF)
The Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF) is included in the Stress Free Package. If the Stress Free Package has not been selected the Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF) will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicle rates per 100km are as follows:
- Ultima - NZ$6.22
- Platinum Beach - NZ$6.62
- Platinum River - NZ$6.62
Maui reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF) upon Government intervention.
*Pre Purchase Gas Option (PGO)
Allows the customer to return the vehicle without the need for the gas bottle to be replenished. The gas bottle is used to operate the gas stove and to heat the hot water in vehicles with a hot water facility. This option can be purchased separately if the Stress Free Package has not been selected. See 'additional products and services' for costs.
*LPG Gas Bottle Exchange
Allows the customer to swap the LPG Gas bottle at any time at any of our branches
*Express Key Return
Maui customers with the Stress Free Package may simply return their keys to the counter when returning a vehicle without any need to do vehicle checks. This service only applies where no vehicle damage has occured whilst on hire.
Long Hire Rentals
All rentals 50 days or longer (including multiple rentals) will have the added advantage of:
- Linen exchange service
- Free extra Linen per bed
- Valet Service*
- Vehicle Safe Service Check*
- LPG Gas Bottle Exchange*
* Linen Exchange Service - Maui customers may exchange their linen and bedding during their rental at any time at any Maui branch.
* Valet Service - customers may visit any Maui location while on hire to have their vehicle detailed. Please call ahead by a minimum of 48 hours for this service.
* Vehicle Safe Service Check - customers may visit any Maui location while on hire to have checks carried out on oil and water, visual brake pads, tyre and windscreen wiper blades. Please call ahead by a minimum of 48 hours for this service.
* LPG Gas Bottle Exchange - allows the customer to swap the LPG Gas bottle at any time at any of our branches. The gas bottle is used to operate the gas stove and to heat the hot water in vehicles with a hot water facility.
Early Bird Discount
An Early Bird discount of 10% off the daily vehicle rate will apply to bookings made 120 days or more
before the travel date of booking. This discount does not apply to the Stress Free Package. The Early
Bird discount can be combined with longer term hire discounts.
For your Protection - Vehicle Liability*
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. Maui does not accept any liability for personal injuries sustained during the rental and recommend the hirer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and they have personal travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings.Maui strongly recommends that all people travelling in New Zealand take out personal travel insurance. In addition to these costs, an administration fee of $60 may apply, per claim.
* In the USA a liability is referred to as the 'deductible'.
All vehicles are insured for damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is reponsible for the first NZ$7,500 (the liability) of the cost of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident (does not include single vehicle roll over), windscreen and tyre damage, towing an recovery costs, theft, fire, break-in or vandalism with the exception of the 'exclusions'. This also includes the cost of the daily rental for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability will be refunded if Maui is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Third Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
Please see the 'exclusions' section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
This NZ$7,500 liability can be reduced, in most circumstances, by the purchase of the Liability Option (note Liability Reduction Option is already included in the Stress Free Package).
Liability Reduction Option
Cost per day NZ$45 (max charge NZ$2,250) - $0 Liability
With Liability Reduction Option (or Stress Free Package), the hirer will not have to pay any liabilty at all for any damage to the vehicle or property of a Third Party with the exception of the
The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
Please see the 'exclusions' section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
Tyre & Windscreen Damage Cover
Where a $0 liability is present unlimited windscreen and tyres will be covered for accidental damage.
Additional Protection Coverage
Cost - NZ$99 per rental.
Where the hirer purchases Additional Protection Coverage the cost of damage resulting from a single
vehicle roll over will be covered.
Additional Protection Coverage can only be purchased in conjunction with Liability Reduction Option 2
or the Stress Free Package.
All liability cover will be made void if any of the following 'Exclusions' are breached:
- Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle however caused, except where the Liability Reduction Option or the maui Premium Package has been purchased. This does not cover single vehicle rollover except where Additional Protection Cover has been purchased.
- Damage caused to the vehicles because total load (kg) has exceeded the recommended load as stated in the vehicle manual. vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure vehicle.
- Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to:
- any vehicle submersion
- creek or river crossing
- driving through flood areas
- beach driving
- Personal belongings. maui recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings.
- Any damage caused by willful misconduct (eg sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle).
- Any damage to the vehicle or any third party‟s vehicle or property where the customer is deemed by local authorities to have been careless, negligent or wilful in failing to abide by the local road rules.
- A single vehicle roll over occurs except where Additional Protection Coverage has been purchased.
- Damage caused to the vehicle due to the use of snow chains.
- Any damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol,drugs or negligence.
- The Customer will be liable for any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel.
- The cost of retrieving or recovering a vehicle which may include, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in any way and/or has been abandoned, in each case in circumstances within the control of the customer.
- The cost to replace keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys, which have been locked in a vehicle.
- The vehicle rented may only used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed Maui does not accept any liability.
- Drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers that have a licence that has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence.
Vehicle Security Deposit
Upon vehicle collection, a vehicle security deposit is required. The amount is determined by the Liability Reduction Option selected.
For security purposes, only a credit card can be used for payment of bond. The credit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicles security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle.Any type of prepaid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic Credit cards are not accepted for Bond Payments. An electronic credit card is one where the numbers are not raised.
Debited bonds are subject to a 2% credit card administration fee in addition to the bond amount when the credit card used is either Visa or Mastercard or 4.6% for American Express. These surcharges will be refunded when the vehicle security deposit is refunded.
If you do not take a Liability Reduction Option, the vehicle security deposit is NZ$7,500 payable by credit card.
The NZ$7,500 is debited to the hirer's credit card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit card and that the amount does not exceed the hirer's daily withdrawal allowance.
If Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package has been taken the vehicle security deposit is NZ$250.
The NZ$250 is taken as an imprint to the hirer's credit card when the vehicle is collected. An imprint simply records a figure against the hirer's credit card of NZ$250 that Maui can then debit if required.
The vehicle security deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to
provide the vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased the Stress Free Package or LP Gas Refill and/or Pre Purchase Fuel, failure to return the vehicle will full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon return of the vehicle.
Maui reserves the right to retain a NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and wastewater tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, ONLY THE HIRERS CREDIT CARD CAN BE USED FOR VEHICLE DEPOSITS.
We strongly recommend any international visitors arriving off long-haul flights stay overnight prior to picking up their motorhomes. Please also take the time to visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which provides educational information in regards to safe driving practices on New Zealand Roads.
Exchange Rate / Currency Fluctuations
All credit and debit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and/or bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Maui does not accept any liability for variances up or down.
The credit or debit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit and debit card are Visa Card, MasterCard and American Express. A non-refundable 2% administration fee will apply to all Visa and MasterCard transactions and 4.6% to American Express. Credit card administration fees also apply to the debited vehicle security deposits and only the hirer's credit card is acceptable to use for the purpose of the vehicle security deposit.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
Maui will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur Maui will charge for the shortfall.
A current and full motor vehicle driver's licence is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current International Driving Permit (IDP) issued in the same country as the driver's licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an International Driving Permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over.
Additional Products & Services
To be requested at time of reservation or upon vehicle collection and paid by customer on day of vehicle collection:
- *Picnic Table - NZ$25 per rental
- *Picnic Chair - NZ$18 per rental
- Baby / Booster Seat - NZ$36 per rental (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- *Portable Heater - NZ$16 per rental
- Tent (4 persons) - NZ$65 per rental
- Camping Pack - NZ$20 per day (maximum charge NZ$200 for 2 persons)
- Souvenir Road Atlas - from NZ$25 for purchase
- *Snow Chains - NZ$36 per rental (In vehicle. If seal broken customer is charged)
- Awnings (if not already affixed) - NZ$5 per day with a maximum of NZ$80 per hire
- First Aid Kit - NZ$35 for purchase (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- Toilet Emptying Service* - NZ$75 per rental
- *Pre Purchase Gas Option (PGO) - NZ$38 per refill
- Pre-Purchase Fuel Option - Details on request
- *GPS - NZ$10 per day (maximum charge of NZ$100 per hire)
- Portable Hand-held Shower - NZ$16 per rental
- Electrical Adaptor - NZ$14 for purchase
- Extra Duvet Hire - NZ$16 per item, per rental
- Mobile WiFi - NZ$10 per day with a maximum of NZ$100 per hire
* Denotes additional products included in the Stress Free Package.
*On drop off of the vehicle, customers will have the convenience of having the toilet emptied for them.
Outdoor chairs/table, the LP Gas Refill Fee, GPS, portable heater (if required) and snow chains (if required) are included in the Stress Free Package.
- Rentals are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicle's return is counted as the final day of the rental. Vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
- When a rental moves from one rate season into the next, the calculation is based on both rates.
- Minimum rental period is 5 days
- Minimum retnal period is 10 days for hires with a collection date between 20 December and 10 January .
- Minimum rental period is 10 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being returned to the South Island if rental commences between the months of October through to March.
- Minimum rental period is subject to change during peak periods.
- For rentals 50 days or more (including multiple hires), please refer to the "Long Hire Rental" section of this document. All requests for quotes and bookings of 50 days or more should be directed first to Reservations.
- Late pick ups or early return of vehicle does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
- If the customer wishes to extend the retnal whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from Reservations or any of Maui's branches. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of NZ$150 in additional to the daily rate.
Motorhomes can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well-maintained raods.
No vehicle shall be driven on Skippers Road (Queenstown), the Crown Range Road (Queenstown), Ninety Mile Beach (Northland), Ball Hut Road (Mt. Cook), and North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula).
Maui reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Change of Drop Off Destination
If the customer wishes to change the drop off destination, they must first obtain authorisation from the Reservations or Scheduling Departments.
Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to NZ$750 may apply.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the vehicle rate. Consecutive motorhome hire in South Africa for maui, Britz and KEA; Australia for maui, Britz, KEA and Mighty and in New Zealand for maui, Britz, KEA and Mighty can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection dates are within a 3 month period. For all rentals to qualify each booking needs to be made at the same time. If a customer makes another booking at a later time, the new booking can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3 month period however, the original booking/s will only qualify for a discount if the booking/s are not already travelling or travelled.
Note that 2WD car hire cannot be combined with any campervan hire to qualify for longer-term discounts.
Longer-term discounts must be requested at the time of booking.
For motorhomes that pick up and drop off on the same day, the less expensive rental day will be free of charge. This also applies to the Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package if applicable.
If multiple hires are within the same country and total days exceed 50 days only the maximum charge applicable to the Liability Reduction Option or the maui Premium Package will apply. In the instance where a maui hire is being combined with a Britz or Mighty hire and the packages have the maui Premium Package, Britz Bonus Pack, United Inclusive Pack, Alpha Inclusive Pack or The Almighty Pack these components cannot be combined to have a maximum charge applied however the vehicle rate can have a longer-term discount applied if applicable.
For rentals 50 days or more (including multiple hires), please refer to the "Long Hire Rental" section of this document. All requests for quotes and bookings of 50 days or more should be directed first to Reservations.
Vehicle security deposits can be transferred between most multiple rentals. This service is available when the booked products are motorhomes and the vehicle security deposits amount is the same.
One Way Rentals
- One way rentals are available between all branch locations
- A one-way rental fee of NZ$100 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 April and 30 September.
- A one-way rental fee of NZ$300 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
- A one-way rental fee of NZ$250 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch or Queenstown and returns to Auckland, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
- The one way fee if applicable is charged per hire
- The one way fee is waived in the Stress Free Package
Vehicles collections and returns in Queenstown incur a NZ$210 location fee (same city collect and return, one fee applies). This is in addition to the one-way fee if applicable.
Public Holiday Surcharge
A NZ$50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National Public Holidays.
Maui provides free airport to branch and branch to airport transfer on day of arrival and departure for the Auckland Christchurch and Queenstown branches.
Infringements & Administration Fees
Maui reserves the right to charge the hirer for any speeding, toll way, parking or freedom camping fines and/or vehicle damage including Third Party property damage not reported on return of the vhiecle. In addition to these costs, Maui reserve the right to charge for associated administration costs for processing the fines (irrespective of liability) and/or claims in the event of the customer not have $0 Liability. In addition to the costs associated per fine and/or claim, an administration fee of NZ$60 will be applicable.
24 hour Roadside Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Maui as soon as possible, and within 24 hours in order to give Maui the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any cliams for compensation. Maui do no accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact us on free phone: 0800 788 558
Repairs up to NZ$200 may be affected without authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt. For amounts over NZ$200, Maui will need to be informed in advance. Repairs will be approved provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. Receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked by unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Maui reserves the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only be vehicle category.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
Cancellation and Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled anytime up to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit or 20%
(whichever is higher)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Maui reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in any Maui vehicle, excluding guide dogs.
Illustrations and text in any of our documentation, brochures or website are subject to change. Images are a representation only of the vehicle depicted. Variances in the vehicles offered for rental may occur due to substitutions made by Maui or modifications and/or upgrades to the vehicle design made by the manufacturer.