United Terms & Conditions
Travel 1 October 2014 to 31 March 2015
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are open all public holidays except Christmas Day (25 December).
A $50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- New Years Day (1st January)
- Day after New Years Day (2nd January)
- Waitangi Day (6th February)
- Good Friday (18th April)
- Easter Monday (21st April)
- ANZAC Day (25th April)
- Queens Birthday (2nd June)
- Labour Day (27th October)
- Boxing Day (26th December)
Standard Package Rates inclusions
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Kitchen Equipment
- Bedding & Linen Kits
- Return Airport Transfers
- Diesel Recovery Tax
- Demurrage Charges
- One Way Hire Fees
- Extra Driver Fees
- Snow Chains (when required)
- Tyre Repair and|or replacement
- Vehicle Preparation Fee
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- 24 hour Roadside Assistance
- Maps & Campground Guides
- Supermarket Discount Card
- Complimentary New Zealand Travel Guide
- Tourism Radio Tour Guide
- Liability Reduction Options
- Fuel and LPG Costs
- Windscreen Replacement Costs
- Additional Items for hire
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is in additional to the daily rental rates at NZ$45 per day. This is an all inclusive package which includes the standard package plus these bonus items -
- Liability Reduction Option
- Picnic Chairs (per person travelling)
- Picnic Table
- Multiple Windscreen Replacements
- Snow chains if required
- Pre Purchase Gas
- Linen Exchange
It is strongly recommended to purchase the Stress Free Package for travel with peace of mind.
Calculating the Rates
Rates are calculated on a daily basis. The day of pick up is counted as Day 1 and the day of drop off is the last day regardless of the time of pick up and drop off eg, Pick up at 1400 on 01May and drop off at 1000 on 08May is calculated as an 8 day hire.
At the time of booking a deposit is due to secure the vehicle in your name. A confirmation voucher will be emailed. The balance of payment is due 35 days prior to the date of pick up
Minimum Hire Period
For all rentals there is a minimum hire period of 7 days, except for the following when the minimum hire period will be 14 days.
- All vehicle pick ups between 20 December and 02 January annually
- All one way hires between Christchurch or Auckland or vice versa.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the vehicle rate. Consecutive motorhome hire in Australia and South Africa for maui, Britz and KEA and in New Zealand for United Campervans and Alpha Campervans, maui, Britz and KEA can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period.
Extras Items for Hire
The following additional items are available for hire and should be reserved when booking the vehicle.
- Baby Seats | Baby Capsules | Child Seats - NZ$36 per hire
- Snow Chains - NZ$36 per hire
- Table - NZ$25 per hire
- Picnic Chairs - NZ$18 per hire
- First Aid Kit - NZ$25 per hire
- Bicycle Racks (on all models) - NZ$50 per hire
- Bicycle - NZ$16 to $23 per day
- Bicycle Child Seat - NZ$25 per hire
- Mobile Phone SIM Card - NZ$20
- Mobile WiFi - NZ$10 per day (max NZ$100 per hire)
- PPG - 2 berth motorhomes NZ$28 per hire
- PPG - 4 & 6 berth motorhomes NZ$38 per hire
- GPS Navigation System - NZ$10 per day (max NZ$100)
- Toilet Emptying Service* - NZ$75 per hire
*On drop off of the vehicle, customers will have the convenience of having the toilet emptied for them.
Cancellation and Amendments
Cancellations must be notified in writing and the day of receipt of the cancellation is the date the cancellation fee as follows -
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled up to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit or 20%
(Whichever is higher)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
Road User Charge / Diesel Tax
The Road User Charge Recovery fee is included in the All Inclusive Rates. If the All Inclusive Rates have not been selected the Road User Charge Recovery fee will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicles rates per 100km are as follows:
2 berth: NZ$5.32
2 + 1 berth: NZ$5.32
4 berth: NZ$5.72
6 berth: NZ$5.72
United Campervans and Alpha Campervans reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to changes in Government Road User Charges
We regret that animals are not permitted to travel in any vehicle.
Smoking is not permitted in Alpha vehicles at any time.
Hirers may undertake on-road repairs, or replace broken equipment, up to NZ$200 without authorisation from Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals. The amount will be reimbursed on presentation of a receipt. Authorisation from Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals is required for amounts over NZ$200. Hirers should call 0800 759 919 for authorisation.
On Road Assistance
It is a client obligation to contact Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals should any problems be experienced with the vehicle.
Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals offers a 24 hour telephone number for On-Road Assistance in case of accidents or breakdowns - 0800 759 919.
One Way Hires
One way hires are possible between Auckland and Christchurch and vice versa providing the rental period is a minimum of 14 days. On some occasions, special circumstances may apply and for purposes of repositioning vehicles this time limit may be reduced, subject to the permission from Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals.
All drivers must be 21 years of age or older and hold a current valid drivers licence to be produced at the start of the hire. A country of origin licence is acceptable, however non English licence holders must either carry an accurate English translation of their foreign drivers licence or an International Driving Permit (IDP) while driving. A normal car licence is all that is required to drive any Alpha/United vehicle. No heavy vehicle, or other special category licence, is required. No maximum age applies providing an appropriate valid licence is held by the hirer.
The English Translation referred to must be issued by one of the following authorities.
- The New Zealand Translation Service
- A diplomatic representative at a High Commission, Embassy or Consulate
- The authority that issued the overseas driver licence
All traffic infringements are the responsibility of the hirer. The hirers credit card details held by Alpha/United will be retained until all traffic infringements notices have been settled with the New Zealand traffic authorities (New Zealand Police and Local Councils). Alpha/United reserves the right to pass on details of the hirers home address to the New Zealand traffic authorities as is required by New Zealand law. If Alpha/United pays the fine on the hirers behalf a NZ$60 administration fee will be charged in addition to the fine imposed.
Clients are permitted to drive their vehicle on any road in New Zealand except the following which are prohibited in all circumstances:
- Ninety Mile Beach - Northland
- North of Colville Township - Coromandel Peninsula
- Bluff Road between Kuaotunu and Matarangi
- Skippers Canyon Road - Queenstown
- Ball Hutt Road - Mt Cook
North and South Island - Any road closed by Traffic Police or other authority.
Vehicle Substitution and Design
Alpha/United will make every effort to provide the vehicle requested, but where a vehicle is unavailable for any reason they reserve the right to provide a comparably high standard vehicle at no extra cost. While including the same facilities, vehicle layouts may vary slightly to those shown due to manufacturers design changes.
Transfers - Auckland
Arrival: We offer a complimentary dedicated airport transfer between Auckland Airport and Auckland Depot using the thl shuttle (branded maui, Britz, Mighty, United and Alpha). The thl shuttle comes past the airport approximately every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. If assistance is required please call our Freephone 0800 759 919.
For International Arrivals: Exit through Door 11 and wait near the large clock just past the Park n Ride signage.
For Domestic Arrivals: Leave through Door 2 (Air New Zealand end of terminal), cross public pick up point area to where the large black and yellow sign that states Hotel Rental Operators is located.
Departure: Complimentary transfers are available to Auckland Airport by the thl shuttle on termination of the hire. Taxi transfers to other destinations can be arranged, however these will be at the clients expense.
Transfers - Christchurch
Arrival: We offer a complimentary transfer between Christchurch Airport and Christchurch Depot by thl shuttle on demand.
For International and Domestic: Clients should phone our Freephone 0800 359 010 using the airport phones provided. They should give their name, number of persons and the Terminal of pick up. In all cases the thl courtesy shuttle (branded maui, Britz, Mighty, United and Alpha) will be despatched to take them directly to the depot. The pick up point at each terminal will be advised by staff at the time of the
Departure: Complimentary transfers are available to Christchurch Airport by the thl shuttle on termination of the hire. Taxi transfers to other destinations can be arranged, however these will be at the clients expense.
Insurance - Standard Rates
All Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals Ltd Standard Rates include Standard Vehicle Insurance. This provides cover for:
- Damage to the Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals Ltd vehicle including overhead and|or under-body damage, single vehicle accident or vehicle roll over, or damage to third party property.
- Demurrage costs - the rental rate for the days the vehicle is not available for hire due to accident repairs.
- Public Liability up to NZ$10,000.
- A Bond/Excess of NZ$5,000 must be paid on collection of the campervan or motorhome. The hirer will be responsible for the first NZ$5,000 of any costs incurred due to damage to the hired vehicle or third party property.
- The hirer will be fully liable for the repair or replacement of damaged windscreens.
- The Bond/Excess of NZ$5,000 must be paid by credit card and will be debited immediately. United Campervans and Alpha Campervans accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express.
- Payment of the NZ$5,000 Bond is per incident and should damage be incurred to the hired vehicle or third party property a further Bond authorisation will be required.
- The Bond/Excess is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the Bond/Excess is a Visa or Mastercard, provided the vehicle is returned to the agreed drop off depot, on the due drop off date, in a reasonably clean undamaged condition, with no damage incurred to third party property, and with a full tank of fuel and empty toilet cassette and waste water tank.
Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals Offers an option to either reduce or waive this standard Bond/Liability Fee of NZ$5,000:
Liability Reduction Option
Payment of NZ$38 per day (maximum of NZ$1,900 for any one hire) will completely waive the Bond/Liability Fee.
- The hirer will not be responsible for any costs incurred due to damage to the hired vehicle or third party property, or for the repair or replacement of windscreens, subject to the Insurance Exclusions and provided the hirer has complied with all Policy Conditions.
Insurance - Stress Free Package (all inclusive rates)
Comprehensive insurance as detailed in Liability Reduction Option is included in the Stress Free Package and NO excess applies.
This applies to all eligible hirers over 21 years with hires of 7 days or over.
(applicable to both Standard & Stress Free Packages)
The following are standard exclusions:
The hirer will be fully liable for any damage to the Alpha/United vehicle or third party property if:
- The terms of the Rental Agreement entered into with Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals is breached.
- Damage is caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The vehicle is driven on restricted roads.
- Damage is due to careless, willful or reckless driving.
- Negligence, or other act of the hirer results in water submersion or salt water damage.
- The hirer has repairs made to the vehicle without the insurers permission.
- The hirer admits liability and accepts responsibility for third party damage.
Under the Liability Reduction Option and Stress Free Package a credit card to a maximum of NZ$250 will still be taken for a fuel and cleaning deposit. This deposit is fully refundable on return of the vehicle to the agreed drop off depot, on the due drop off date, in a reasonably clean condition, and with a full tank of fuel and an empty toilet cassette and waste water tank.
Hirers are recommended to take personal travel insurance as Alpha/United Vehicle Insurance does not provide cover for loss or damage to personal property or for personal injury.
Note: Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.