Alpha Terms & Conditions
Travel 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are open all public holidays except Christmas Day (25 December).
A $50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- New Years Day (1st January)
- Day after New Years Day (2nd January)
- Waitangi Day (6th February)
- Good Friday (3rd April)
- Easter Monday (6th April)
- ANZAC Day (25th April)
- Queens Birthday (1st June)
- Labour Day (26th October)
- Boxing Day (26th December)
Standard Package Rates inclusions
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Kitchen Equipment
- Bedding & Linen Kits
- Return Airport Transfers
- Demurrage Charges
- One Way Hire Fee (Christchurch to Auckland Only)
- Extra Driver Fees
- Snow Chains (when required)
- Tyre Repair and|or replacement
- Vehicle Preparation Fee
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- 24 hour Roadside Assistance
- Maps & Campground Guides
- Supermarket Discount Card
- Complimentary New Zealand Travel Guide
- Tourism Radio Tour Guide
- Driver goes free to Waitomo Caves
- Liability Reduction Options
- Fuel and LPG Costs
- Windscreen Replacement Costs
- Additional Items for hire
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is in additional to the daily rental rates at NZ$45 per day. This is an all inclusive package which includes the standard package plus these bonus items -
- Liability Reduction Option
- Picnic Chairs (per person travelling)
- Picnic Table
- Multiple Windscreen and tyre repair or replacement
- Snow chains if required
- Pre Purchase Gas
- Linen Exchange
- One Way fee Auckland to Christchurch
It is strongly recommended to purchase the Stress Free Package for travel with peace of mind.
Calculating the Rates
Rental days are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicle‟s return is counted as the final day of the rental. Vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
At the time of booking a deposit is due to secure the vehicle in your name. A confirmation voucher will be emailed. The balance of payment is due 35 days prior to the date of pick up
Minimum Hire Period
For all rentals there is a minimum hire period of 7 days, except for the following when the minimum hire period will be 14 days.
- All vehicle pick ups between 20 December and 02 January annually
- All one way hires between Christchurch or Auckland or vice versa.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the vehicle rate. Consecutive motorhome hire in Australia and South Africa for maui, Britz and KEA and in New Zealand for United Campervans and Alpha Campervans, maui, Britz and KEA can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period.
Extras Items for Hire
The following additional items are available for hire and should be reserved when booking the vehicle.
- Baby Seats | Booster Seats - NZ$36 per hire (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- Snow Chains - NZ$36 per hire (In vehicle. If seal broken customer is charged)
- Table - NZ$25 per hire
- Picnic Chairs - NZ$180per hire
- First Aid Kit - NZ$25 per hire (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- Bicycle Racks (on all models) - NZ$50 per hire
- Bicycle - NZ$16 to $23 per day
- Bicycle Child Seat - NZ$25 per hire
- Mobile Phone SIM Card - NZ$20
- Mobile WiFi - NZ$10 per day (max NZ$100 per hire)
- PPG - 2 berth motorhomes NZ$28 per hire
- PPG - 4 & 6 berth motorhomes NZ$38 per hire
- GPS Navigation System - NZ$10 per day (max NZ$100)
- Toilet Emptying Service* - NZ$75 per hire
- Fan Heater NZ$16 per rental
- Electrical Adaptor NZ$14 for purchase
*On drop off of the vehicle, customers will have the convenience of having the toilet emptied for them.
Cancellation and Amendments
Cancellations must be notified in writing and the day of receipt of the cancellation is the date the cancellation fee as follows -
The cancellation fees are:
- If cancelled up to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit paid
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20%
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50%
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
Road User Charge / Diesel Tax
The Road User Charge Recovery fee is included in the All Inclusive Rates. If the All Inclusive Rates have not been selected the Road User Charge Recovery fee will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicles rates per 100km are as follows:
2 berth: NZ$6.22
2 + 1 berth: NZ$6.22
4 berth: NZ$6.62
6 berth: NZ$6.62
United Campervans and Alpha Campervans reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to changes in Government Road User Charges
We regret that animals are not permitted to travel in any vehicle.
Smoking is not permitted in Alpha vehicles at any time.
Hirers may undertake on-road repairs, or replace broken equipment, up to NZ$200 without authorisation from Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals. The amount will be reimbursed on presentation of a receipt. Authorisation from Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals is required for amounts over NZ$200. Hirers should call 0800 759 919 for authorisation.
On Road Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to United or Alpha as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give United or Alpha the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compensation. United or Alpha does not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact us on free phone: 0800 788 558
One Way Hires
A one-way rental fee of NZ$100 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch. This is applicable all year round.
The one-way fee if applicable is charged per hire.
The one-way fee is included in the All Inclusive Rates.
There is no fee for Christchurch to Auckland hires
Minimum one-way rental period requirements are subject to change.
All drivers must be 21 years of age or older and hold a current valid drivers licence to be produced at the start of the hire. A country of origin licence is acceptable, however non English licence holders must either carry an accurate English translation of their foreign drivers licence or an International Driving Permit (IDP) while driving. A normal car licence is all that is required to drive any Alpha/United vehicle. No heavy vehicle, or other special category licence, is required. No maximum age applies providing an appropriate valid licence is held by the hirer.
The English Translation referred to must be issued by one of the following authorities.
- The New Zealand Translation Service
- A diplomatic representative at a High Commission, Embassy or Consulate
- The authority that issued the overseas driver licence
All traffic infringements are the responsibility of the hirer. The hirers credit card details held by Alpha/United will be retained until all traffic infringements notices have been settled with the New Zealand traffic authorities (New Zealand Police and Local Councils). Alpha/United reserves the right to pass on details of the hirers home address to the New Zealand traffic authorities as is required by New Zealand law. If Alpha/United pays the fine on the hirers behalf a NZ$60 administration fee will be charged in addition to the fine imposed.
Motorhomes can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well-maintained roads.
- Ninety Mile Beach - Northland
- North of Colville Township - Coromandel Peninsula
- Skippers Canyon Road - Queenstown
- Crown Range Road (Queenstown),
- Ball Hutt Road - Mt Cook
North and South Island - Any road closed by Traffic Police or other authority.
Alpha Campervans reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Vehicle Substitution and Design
Alpha/United will make every effort to provide the vehicle requested, but where a vehicle is unavailable for any reason they reserve the right to provide a comparably high standard vehicle at no extra cost. While including the same facilities, vehicle layouts may vary slightly to those shown due to manufacturers design changes.
Transfers - Auckland
Arrival: We offer a complimentary dedicated airport transfer between Auckland Airport and Auckland Depot using the thl shuttle (branded maui, Britz, Mighty, United and Alpha). The thl shuttle comes past the airport approximately every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. If assistance is required please call our Freephone 0800 759 919.
For International Arrivals: Exit through Door 11 and wait near the large clock just past the Park n Ride signage.
For Domestic Arrivals: Leave through Door 2 (Air New Zealand end of terminal), cross public pick up point area to where the large black and yellow sign that states Hotel Rental Operators is located.
Departure: Complimentary transfers are available to Auckland Airport by the thl shuttle on termination of the hire. Taxi transfers to other destinations can be arranged, however these will be at the clients expense.
Transfers - Christchurch
Arrival: We offer a complimentary transfer between Christchurch Airport and Christchurch Depot by thl shuttle on demand.
For International and Domestic: Clients should phone our Freephone 0800 359 010 using the airport phones provided. They should give their name, number of persons and the Terminal of pick up. In all cases the thl courtesy shuttle (branded maui, Britz, Mighty, United and Alpha) will be despatched to take them directly to the depot. The pick up point at each terminal will be advised by staff at the time of the
Departure: Complimentary transfers are available to Christchurch Airport by the thl shuttle on termination of the hire. Taxi transfers to other destinations can be arranged, however these will be at the clients expense.
Insurance - Standard Rates
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. United and Alpha do not accept any liability for personal injuries sustained during the rental and recommend the hirer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they have personal travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings. United and Alpha strongly recommends that all people travelling in New Zealand take out personal travel insurance.
# In the USA a liability is referred to as the “deductible”.
All vehicles are insured for the damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is responsible for the first NZ$5,000 (“the liability”) of the cost of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident or single vehicle roll over, windscreen and tyre damage, towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break-in or vandalism with the exception of the „exclusions‟. This also includes the cost of the daily rental for the period the vehicle is being repaired. In addition to these costs, an administration fee of NZ$60 may apply, per claim.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. United and Alpha reserve the right to charge the hirer for any vehicle damage including Third Party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle. The liability will be refunded if United or Alpha are successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Third Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
Please see the ‘exclusions’ section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
Alpha/United Vehicle Rentals Offers an option to either reduce or waive this standard Bond/Liability Fee of NZ$5,000:
Liability Reduction Option
Payment of NZ$38 per day (maximum of NZ$1,900 for any one hire) will completely waive the Bond/Liability Fee.
- When the CDW Option has been purchased, the hirer will not have to pay any liability at all for any damage to the vehicle or property of a Third Party with the exception of the „exclusions‟. This cover includes unlimited tyre and windscreen cover for accidental damage.
Note: This Option is included in the All Inclusive rates.
Insurance - Stress Free Package (all inclusive rates)
Comprehensive insurance as detailed in Liability Reduction Option is included in the Stress Free Package and NO excess applies.
This applies to all eligible hirers over 21 years with hires of 7 days or over.
(applicable to both Standard & Stress Free Packages)
The following are standard exclusions:
The hirer will be fully liable for any damage to the Alpha/United vehicle or third party property if:
- 1. Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
- 2. Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to: a) any vehicle submersion b) creek or river crossing c) driving through flooded areas d) beach driving
- 3. Personal belongings. United and Alpha recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings.
- 4. Any damage caused by willful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle).
- 5. Any damage to the vehicle or any third party‟s vehicle or property where the customer is deemed by local authorities to have been careless, negligent or wilful in failing to abide by the local road rules.
- 6. Damage caused to the vehicle due to the use of snow chains.
- 7. Any damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or negligence.
- 8. The Customer will be liable for any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel.
- 9. The cost of retrieving or recovering a vehicle which may include, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in any way and/or has been abandoned, in each case in circumstances within the control of the customer.
- 10. The cost of replacing keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
- 11. The vehicle rented may only be used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed United and Alpha does not accept any liability.
- 12. Drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers that have a licence has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence.
Upon vehicle collection, a vehicle security deposit is required. The vehicle security deposit is applicable regardless if the hirer has purchased private travel insurance.
For security purposes, only a credit card can be used to provide a vehicle security deposit. The credit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicle security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle. Any type of pre-paid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit. Visa and MasterCard debit cards are acceptable provided the card is being used as a credit card.
Debited vehicle security deposits are subject to a 2% credit card administration fee in addition to the vehicle security deposit amount when the credit card used is either a Visa or MasterCard and 4.6%, when the credit card used is American Express.
If the Liability Reduction Option is not selected, the vehicle security deposit is NZ$5,000 payable by credit card.
The NZ$5,000 is debited to the hirer‟s credit card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit card and that the amount does not exceed the hirer‟s daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit card.
If the CDW Option is selected or the All Inclusive rates are booked the vehicle security deposit is NZ$250.
The NZ$250 is taken as an imprint to the hirer‟s credit card when the vehicle is collected. An imprint simply records a figure against the hirer‟s credit card of NZ$250 that United or Alpha can then debit if required.
The vehicle security deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, in a clean condition and with full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased Pre Purchase Gas option (which is included in the All Inclusive rates) and/or Pre Purchase Fuel (PPF), failure to return the vehicle with full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon return of the vehicle.
United and Alpha reserve the right to retain a NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and waste water tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, ONLY THE HIRERS CREDIT CARD CAN BE USED FOR VEHICLE SECURITY DEPOSITS.
Hirers are recommended to take personal travel insurance as Alpha/United Vehicle Insurance does not provide cover for loss or damage to personal property or for personal injury.
Note: Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.