Britz Terms & Conditions
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are open all public holidays except Christmas Day (25 December).
A $100 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- Good Friday (19th April)
- Easter Monday (22nd April
- ANZAC Day (25th April)
- Queens Birthday (3rd June)
- Labour Day (28nd October)
- Boxing Day (26th December)
- New Years Day (1st January)
- Day after New Years Day (2nd January)
- Waitangi Day (6th February)
Standard Daily Rates Include
- Unlimited Kilometres (Diesel Tax charged/100km- see RUCRF* note below)
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- In Camper tablet with GPS, travel and vehicle user tips and more
- Bedding & Linen Kits*
- Tourism Radio
- Airport transfers upon vehicle collection and return
- Kitchen Equipment*
- General Equipment*
- Customer Care 24 hour, 7 days per week Road-service Helpline (toll free)
- Travel Wallet including map of New Zealand with driving tips and travel information
- New Zealand leading attractions map including discounts to iconic tourist attractions
- Driver goes free to Waitomo Gloworm Caves
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
GST is a New Zealand Government imposed tax. GST is included in all Britz rates and is currently 15%. Britz reserves the right to amend GST upon Government intervention.
Bedding & Linen Kits
Includes pillow, pillowcase, sheet and towel per person plus one duvet per bed.
Includes pegs, dustpan/brush fire extinguisher, bucket/hose, broom, matches, coat hangers and toilet chemicals.
Includes plates, bowls, cups, glasses, knives, forks, spoons, bottle/can opener, mixing bowls, colander, saucepans, frying pans, cooking utensils, chopping board, kettle, teapot, toaster and tea towel.
*Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF)
The RUCRF fee is included in the Express Key Return Pack. If the Express Key Return Pack has not been selected the Diesel Tax Recovery fee will be calculated on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres traveled during the hire.
The vehicle rates per 100km are as follows:
|Vehicle||Cost per 100km|
|2 Berth Petrol||NIL|
|2 Berth Diesel||$7.24|
|2 Berth T/S||$7.24|
Britz reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to changes in Government Road User Charges.
Express Return Pack 5-15 days $339 ($285 hitop & Voyager) 16-24 Days and Over $445 ($389 hitop & Voyager) 25+ days $535 ($485 hitop & Voyager)
Includes the following
- Return Gas Bottle Empty
- Return Fuel Tank Empty
- Toilet & Waste Water Emptying Service
- Road User Recovery Fee
- Express Key Return
Only available when the Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package has been purchased.
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is payable per day in addition to the daily rental rate and can only be done via our website upon booking NOT on arrival at the branch.
Stress Free Package Inclusions
- Liability Reduction Option - $0 Liability*
- Single Vehicle Rollover Cover
- Extra Driver Fees
- WiFi (Including 1GB data)
- Unlimited Tyre & Windscreen Accidental Damage Cover
- Outdoor Table & Chairs
- Portable Heater
- Snow Chains
- Baby/Booster seat - on request (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
*This option reduces the Liability Fee for 2WD Motorhomes from NZ$7,500 to NIL.
Standard Liability & Vehicle Insurance
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. Except where such loss or damage is caused by Britz’s (or that of its employees) own negligence or breach of the Britz Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions, Britz does not accept liability for any loss or damage to any personal belongings or property of the Customer (or any person or entity related to the Customer). Britz strongly recommend that all people travelling in New Zealand take out personal travel insurance.
In the USA liability is referred to as the deductible.
All Vehicles are insured for the damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is responsible for the first NZ$7,500 (NZ$5000 Hitop and Voyager) of ANY ACCIDENT COST of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident, windscreen and tyre damage (does not include single vehicle roll over), towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break in or vandalism with the exception of the exclusions. Where the damage is the customer’s fault, this also includes the cost of the daily rental rate for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs. The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability fee will be refunded if Britz is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Thrid Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
(From 28th November 2018 Where a customer chooses the standard liability option, any damage to their motorhome or any third party property during the hire will need to be paid during the vehicle drop off process. Costs incurred will be calculated and recovered at end of the hire, regardless of any independent cover they may have. Customers choosing a standard liability option will need to allow sufficient time at drop-off to enable a damage inspection.)
The maximum public liability is $20,000,000, sub limits may apply. Please note that the maximum public liability may change during the course of the
year for which these terms apply.
The Standard Liability can be reduced by purchasing one of the following:
Liability Reduction Options (LRO)
|Cost per Day||Liability Fee||Bond Payable|
|Standard||Included in Rental||$7,500||$7,500|
|Standard (HiTop & Voyager)||Included in Rental||$5,000||$5,000|
|LRO Option||$45 (max $2,250)||$0||$250|
|Stress Free Package||$55 (max $2,750)||$0||$0|
*Stress Free Package includes LRO & Bonus Items. This option must be selected at time of booking or prior to pick up.
Tyre and Windscreen Damage
Where a NIL liability is present unlimited windscreen and tyres will be covered for accidental damage.
The Liability Reduction Option will not apply and the customer is responsible for all costs arising out of, or incurred in connection with:
1. Any damage caused by wilful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle) or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or negligence.
2. Any loss or damage to personal belongings or property of the customer (or any person or entity related to the customer). except where such loss or damage is caused by Britz’s (or that of its employees) own negligence or breach of the Britz Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions. Britz recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out personal travel insurance.
3. Any damage where the customer is charged by local authorities for being careless, showing gross negligence or wilfulness in failing to abide by the local road rules.
4. Retrieving or recovering a vehicle, which may include, but is not limited to a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned, in each chase in circumstances within the control of the customer.
5. Replacing keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
6. Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle however caused, except where Liability Reduction Option or the Britz Inclusive Pack has been purchased.
7. Any single vehicle rollover except where the BritzInclusive Pack has been purchased.
8. Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
9. Damage caused by drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers whose licence has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence.
10. Any damage caused to the vehicle due to the incorrect use of snow chains.
11. Any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel.
12. Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to, vehicle submersion, contact with salt water, creek or river crossings, driving through flooded areas and beach driving.
13. The vehicle rented may only be used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed Britz does not accept any liability.
Vehicle Security Deposit or Bond
Upon vehicle collection, a security deposit is required. The amount is determined by the Liability Reduction Option selected. The vehicle security deposit is applicable regardless if the hirer has purchased private travel insurance.
For security purposes, only a credit or debit card can be used for payment of bond. The credit or debit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicles security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit or debit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle. Any type of prepaid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit. Visa and MasterCard debit cards are acceptable provided the card is being used as a credit or debit card.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic Credit cards are not accepted for Bond Payments. An electronic credit card is one where the numbers are not raised.
Debited vehicle security deposits are subject to a 3.1% credit card administration fee in addition to the bond amount when the credit or debit card used is either Visa or Mastercard or 4.6% for American Express. The credit card administration fees are subject to change.
Britz recommend that customers use a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card for the Liability Deposit, as the credit card administration fee that applies when using American Express is not refundable.
(Discovery Rentals cannot accept American Express, these cards can only be used at time of pick up)
If a Liability Reduction option is not selected, the security deposit is NZ$7,500 ($5,000 HiTop & Voyager) payable by credit or debit card. When no Liability Reduction Option or Option 1 is selected, it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit or debit card for the bond amount when the vehicle is collected, and that the amount does not exceed the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit or debit card.
When Liability Reduction Option 2 is selected, the amount is taken as an imprint to the hirers credit or debit card when the vehicle is collected.
Britz reserves the right to retain an NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and waste water tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
The Security Deposit is fully refundable, including the credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the
vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and with full fuel tank (Fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased the express return pack, failure to return the vehicle with full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon returning the vehicle.
For Security purposes, only the hirers credit or debit card can be used for the Refundable Bond.
We strongly recommend any international visitors arriving off long-haul flights stay overnight prior to picking up their motorhomes. Please also take the time to visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which provides educational information in regards to safe driving practices on New Zealand Roads.
Extra Driver Fee
An extra driver fee applies per driver, per hire, The fee is $2 per day with a maximum of $30
Exchange Rate/Currency Variations
All credit and debit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand Dollars. If a refund is due, Britz will credit the amount due in full to the Customer's credit or debit card. Britz does not accept any liability for credit or debit card fees or bank-imposed fees relating to currency conversion or foreign transactions, which may appear as a variation between the total debited and the total refunded.
Credit and Debit Cards
The credit or debit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit or debit cards are Visa Card, Mastercard and American Express. A non-refundable 3.1% administration fee will apply to all Visa and Mastercard transactions (4.6% applies to American Express). Credit card administration fees also apply to debited security bonds and only the hirers credit or debit card is acceptable to use for the purpose of the security bond. (Discovery Rentals cannot accept American Express, these cards can only be used at time of pick up)
Credit Card Surcharge - Discovery Rentals
Credit card fees are payable when using Visa or MasterCard as these are subject to change Find out the current rates for your card here
We will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur we will charge for the shortfall.
A current and full motor vehicle drivers licence is required and must be presented upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current Internatonal Driving Permit issued in the same country as the drivers licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit.
Drivers must be 21 years of age or over.
Additional items are to be requested at time of reservation or upon vehicle collection and paid by customer on the day of vehicle collection (in NZ dollars):
- Picnic Table - NZ$25 per rental
- Picnic Chair - NZ$18 per rental
- Baby / Booster Seat* - NZ$36 per rental
- Portable Heater - NZ$16 per rental
- Snow Chains - NZ$36 per rental (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- First Aid Kit - NZ$35 for purchase (In vehicle. If seal is broken customer is charged)
- Souvenir Road Atlas - From NZ$25 for purchase
- Pre-Purchase Gas (PGO) - From NZ$28 - $38 (depending on vehicle choice)
- Pre-Purchase Fuel Option - Details on request
- Portable Hand-Held Shower - NZ$16 per rental
- Electical Adaptor - NZ$14 for purchase
- Toilet Emptying Service*
- Bike Hire NZ$16 per day
- Bike Rack NZ$50 per rental
Charges for additional products and services will be charged per hire.
*On drop off of vehicle, customers will have the convenience of having the toilet emptied for them
Outdoor table and chairs, portable heater, (if required) and snow chains (if required) are included in the Stress Free Package.
Note that not all Britz vehicles can accommodate child restraint equipment. Childseats depending on the childs age are commonly used for children 3 years or less. Reversible childseats or capsules are used so that an infant can be accommodated when required. Booster seats again depending on the childs size are commonly used for children between 3 and 8 years of age. All child restraunt equipment is to be fitted by the hirer facing foward, in the appropriate seat/s and cannot be situated on side facing seats.
The Bundle $10 per day (maximum charge $500)
The extras bundle includes the following:
Single vehicle rollover cover ... valued $100
Wifi including 1GB of data ...... valued $35
Extra Driver Fees ....valued $2 per extra driver, per day
Picnic Table .... valued $25 per rental
Picnic chairs (chairs per person travelling) .... $18 per rental, per chair
Baby/Booster seat,on request ..... $36 per rental, per seat
Portable Fan ....... $16 per rental
Snow Chains.........valued $36 per rental
- Rental days are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicles return is counted as the final day of the rental. Vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
- Minimum rental periods is 5 days with the exception of hires with travel dates between 20 December and 10 January, which require a minimum of 10 days
- Minimum rental period is 10 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being returned to the South Island if the rental commences between the months of October through to March.
- Minimum rental period is subject to change during peak periods.
- Late Pick-up or early return of vehicle does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
- If a customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from reservations or any of the Britz branches. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit or debit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of NZ$150 in addition to the daily rate.
Campervans can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well maintained roads.
No vehicle is permitted to travel on:
- Skippers Road (Queenstown)
- Crown Range Road (Queenstown)
- Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
- Ball Hut Road( Mt Cook)
- North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula)
- All ski field access roads (from 01 June to 31 October)
Britz reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Change of Drop-Off Destination
If the customers wishes to change the drop-off destination, they must first obtain authorisation from the Reservations or Scheduling departments.
Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to NZ$750 may apply.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the daily vehicle rates. Details are on application.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$100 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 April and 30 September.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$250 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$150 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch or Queenstown and returns to Auckland, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$50 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch to Queenstown or vice versa, where pick-up is between 01 April and 30 September.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$75 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch or Queenstown or vice versa, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
The one-way fee if applicable is charged per hire.
Minimum one-way rental period requirements are subject to change.
Vehicle collections and returns in Queenstown incur a NZ$95 location fee (same city collection and return, one fee applies). This is in addition to the one-way fee if applicable.
Vehicle collections and returns in Christchurch incur a NZ$0 location fee (same city collection and return, one fee applies). This is in addition to the one-way fee if applicable. Christchurch pick up fee is subject to change
Public Holiday Surcharge
A NZ$100 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays.
Customer Self Check
Please note that it is mandatory for all customers to complete our Customer Self Check In service.
We provide free airport to branch and branch to airport transfer on day of arrival and departure for our Auckland and Christchurch and Queenstown Branches.
Britz reserves the right to charge the hirer for any speeding, parking, freedom camping or tollway fines, associated administration costs and/or accidents including third party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle. In addition to these costs, Britz reserve the right to charge for associated administration costs for processing the fines (irrespective of liability) and/or all insurance claims in the event of the customer not having NIL liability. In addition to costs per fine and/or insurance claim, the administration fee of NZ$60 will be applicable. This fee will be applicable per offence.
If the Customer continues to exceed a speed of 110km or continues to exceed the posted speed limit, as determined by the Customer repeatedly ignoring the warnings of the telematics system fitted into the Vehicle, Britz may impose a fee on the Customer in the amount of AU$300.
Customer Care On-Road Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Britz as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Britz the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so may impact any claims for compensation.
Please contact us on free phone: 0800 788 558 or landline 0064 9 255 4471.
Repairs up to NZ$200 may be affected wthout authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt. For amounts over NZ$200, Britz will need to be informed in advance. Repairs will be approved provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. Receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked be unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Britz reserve the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only by vehicle category.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
Cancellation and Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled up to 91 days prior to pick = No Fee
- If cancelled from 90 to 22 days prior to pick-up = 20% or deposit paid
(whichever is greater)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% or deposit paid
(whichever is greater) + $100
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% of Rental + $100
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100% of Rental
- If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
From 28th November 2018
If a Customer changes the travel dates of their booking and subsequently cancels:
- the cancellation fee applying to the original cancellation period will apply where the Customer has postponed their travel dates; and
- the cancellation fee applying to the new cancellation period will apply where the Customer has brought forward their travel dates.
Amendments: If a bookings travel dates are amended within the cancellation fee period to be outside of the cancellation fee period and is subsequently cancelled, the cancellation fee for the original booking will apply.
$50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit may not transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Any amendments within cancellation time period is subject to the supplier providing permission to amend the travel dates, or cancel the reservation and having to re-book.
If a bookings travel dates are amended within the cancellation fee period to be outside of the cancellation fee period and is subsequently cancelled, the cancellation fee for the original booking will apply.
Britz reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in our vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Note: Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.