Baby / Child Seats in New Zealand*
In New Zealand, it is a legal requirement that children under the age of seven must use an approved, properly fastened and adjusted child restraint.
Whilst it is not illegal for a child using a restraint to travel in the front passenger seat, it is recommended that children be seated and securely fastened in the back of any vehicle.
Please refer below for the correct restraint for your child.
- Children aged from birth to approximately four years (birth - 18kg) should use a child seat.
- Childrean aged between four and seven years (15-36kg) should use a booster seat.
- All Child restraints must comply with the standards approved in New Zealand. We strongly recommend child restraints are pre booked.
- Fronts seats in all vehicles are not fitted with anchor points and cannot accommodate children under seven years in any case.
- Child or booster seats are not permitted in the rear facing seats of any six berth vehicle.
- We recommend that children are kept rear facing until approximately two years of age.
Rear Facing Baby Seat
- Up to 9kgs in weight
- Under 6 months old
Rear facing infant seats are the safest way for a baby to travel. A rear facing baby seat can only be anchored into a vehicle that has the anchor points already installed.
Rear Facing Seats are not permitted in some campervans. You must check with our reservations team if you require this type of seat before you book.
Forward Facing Baby Seat
- from 9-18kgs in weight
- Over 6 months and under 5 years
A forward facing child seat can be used once a child is both big enough and old enough. A forward facing baby seat can only be anchored into a vehicle that has the anchor points already installed.
Not all campervans have anchor points for a baby seat. Please contact our reservations team if you require this type of seat before you book.
Booster Child Seat
- from 14-26kgs in weight
- Over 5 years up to 7 years
Between the ages of 5-7 years a child must use a booster seat. A booster seat can be anchored with a adult seat belt (no anchor points required). A booster seat should only be fitted to a forward-facing seat.
Some campervan suppliers do not allow children under the age of 8 years to travel in the front seat. Please contact our reservations team if you require this type of seat before you book.
* The information provided above is a guide only. New Zealand is governed by their own child restraint regulations.