Happy Campers Terms and Conditions
Valid From February 2024
Rates and Conditions
Rates and conditions quoted are subject to change without notice. However (subject to changes in legislation or errors) we will not alter rates or conditions applicable to your rental once your booking has been confirmed by Happy Campers. Please note all prices quoted in New Zealand Dollars.
Branch Opening Hours
(allow 1 hour for collection)
Auckland & Christchurch
Monday to Sunday
9.00am - 4.30pm
All branches are closed Christmas Day and New Years Day
Public Holidays; A $50 Public Holiday fee is added when a vehicle is collected or returned on a public holiday
Duration of Hire / Amendments to Hire
- The term of shire shall commence and cease at the time and dates specified. Please note that Happy Campers charges on a per calendar day basis.
- Standard minimum hire period is 5 days.
- Minimum hire periods are based on fleet distribution and availability, Happy Campers reserves the right to change without warning.
- Rates and conditions are correct at time of print and are subject to change without notice. However (subject to changes in legislation or errors) we will not alter rates applicable to your rental once your booking has been confirmed, unless a booking is amended.
- All amendments are subject to approval by Happy Campers. If a reservation collection, return location, category, collection point or return date(s) is amended prior to collection, the rate may be recalculated.
- Rate calculations are based on the rate at the time of reservation or the new rate at time of amendment (whichever is higher). In the instance where an extension is made while on hire with Happy Campers, Happy Campers will calculate the additional days charge at the applicable vehicle rate. Failure to obtain authorisation (i.e. a late return) will result in the hirer being charged the daily rate, which may differ from the original rate booked, plus an additional NZ$200 for each day
- Should the hirer decided to voluntarily downgrade their vehicle type from the category booked, they will not be entitled to a refund.
- Happy Campers must authorise any rental extension beyond that specified in the rental agreement prior to the return of the vehicle. All extensions are subject to availability and must be requested through our reservations team at least 48 hours prior to the drop off dates on the original contract. Happy Campers reserves the right to charge a penalty fee of NZ$750 in addition to the currently daily rental rate per day of the unauthorised extension to anyone in breach of this.
- To change the pick up or drop off location after confirmation of the booking, or during the hire period, authorisation must be obtained from Happy Campers. Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of NZ$750 may apply.
Cancellation & Amendments
Cancellations up to 11 days prior to pick-up - Loss of Deposit or 20% (whichever is greater) In addition there is a $100 cancellation fee
Cancellation up to 1 -10 days prior to pick-up - 50% of the rental (including accessories and excess reduction option) In addition there is a $100 cancellation fee
Cancelled on the day or no show 100% of the rental (including accessories and excess reduction option)
Amendments are charged at a rate of $60 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. No refund will be given on the initial deposit paid.
If an amendment is made to the rental whereby the length of hire is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit amount. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked.
Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
Please note that amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
If a bookings travel dates are amended within the cancellation fee period to be outside of the cancellation fee period and is subsequently cancelled, the cancellation fee for the original booking will apply.
Persons Who May Drive the Vehicle
The vehicle may be driven during the full period of the hire only by the persons named in the contract, and only if they hold a valid drivers licence for the duration of the hire period which must be presented at time of pick up. No minimum or maximum age restriction applies.
It is a requirement for all drivers in New Zealand to present a drivers license that is in English and adhere to the individual conditions of that license whilst on the road in New Zealand.
Drivers; must hold a current and valid drivers licence for the duration of the hire period. An International drivers licence without supporting country licence is not valid
The international drivers licence or permit must be in English, or an accurate English translation of the licence or permit must be given. An accurate English translation is a defined term, and means that the translation must be given by a diplomatic representative at a high commission, embassy or consulate, or an overseas issuing authority or a translation service acceptable to the NZTA.
Payment by Hirer
- The hirer shall pay Happy Campers in full prior to dispatch (as payment for the hire of the vehicle for the agreed period) the sum specified on your contract. The hirer must have a valid credit card. The hirer agrees to pay any additional costs in connection with the hire including (but no limited to) parking and speeding fines, damage to the vehicle, puncture repair and relocation and cleaning fees incurred in connection with the hirers possession of the vehicle, including those which become apparent following termination of the hire. The hirer authorises Happy Campers to debit his credit card for the same.
- In addition to the payment specified the hirer shall pay to Happy Campers. The sums specified for Insurance Cover as set out in the agreement.
- The hirer shall pay for all petrol or diesel (but not oil) used in the vehicle during the period of the hire.
- The hirer will be responsible for the entire cost of the hire should the voucher they present not be paid by the agent. The total payment will be charged to the clients credit card should payment from agent not be received.
- The following credit cards will be accepted: Visa, Mastercard & Amex. A credit card administration fee of 3% applies to use of Visa and Mastercard and 5% applies to use of Amex for payment and security bond purposes. The credit card administration fee will not be refunded if the hirer cancels the booking.(Discovery Rentals cannot accept American Express, these cards can only be used at time of pick up)
Credit Card Surcharge - Discovery Rentals
Credit card fees are payable when using Visa or Mastercard as these are subject to changeFind out the current rates for your card here
- Be aware of, and comply with, all New Zealand legislation including, but not limited to, New Zealand Transport Agency rules and regulations
- Ensure that the gas bottle is off (unlocked) whilst driving and that the rear or sliding door of the vehicle is open when the gas cooker is used
- Smoking and animals are not permitted in the vehicle at any time.
- The hirer shall ensure that all responsible care is taken in handling and parking the vehicle and that it is left securely locked when not in use.
- The hirer shall ensure that all recommended levels are maintained with respect to the water in the radiator and battery, the oil and the tyre pressures of the vehicle.
- It is the hirers responsibility to be aware and in compliance with all New Zealand Land Transport rules and regulations.
- All authorised drivers are bound by the terms and conditions of the hire and must carry their driver’s licence with them when driving.
- For any new damage to the vehicle or its accessories or spare parts, the customer must notify Happy Campers of the full circumstances of the damage as soon as practical but within a maximum of 24 hours from the time the customer has knowledge of the damage.
- Travelling with Children: The Child Restraint Law stipulate that children under 7 must be properly restrained in an approved child restraint. It is the hirers responsibility to ensure the child restraint is installed correctly. It is strongly recommended by Land Transport New Zealand that children should be seated in the rear of a vehicle.
- If there is an equipment defect or mechanical failure of the vehicle during the hire, the customer must notify Happy Campers within 24 hours. If the customer fails to notify Happy Campers within this time then the customer waives Happy Campers obligations to investigate the issue of which the customer will be liable for any resulting damage.
- The customer shall ensure that a copy of the rental agreement is kept in the vehicle throughout the term of the hire and produced without delay for inspection on demand by an enforcement officer.
- Subject to the exclusions set out below, the hirer and any driver authorised to drive the vehicle is indemnified up to a limit of NZ$5,000,000; this is in respect of any liability that he or she might have for damage to any property (including injury to any animal) belonging to any other person and arising out of use of the vehicles.
- The hirer is liable for all damages to the vehicle regardless of who is at fault. If the hirer is not at fault, and a third party admits liability, then a refund will be processed upon receipt of payment from the third party. The hirer is liable for all damages to a third party vehicle and/or property if the hirer is at fault.
- In the event of a single vehicle accident, the liability is increased (as per the insurance options below).
- Third Party Insurance is included in the quoted rate. The third party insurance covers you for all damage to a third party vehicle in the unlikely event of an accident.
- Insurance does not cover the hirers personal belongings
NOTE:The Gambler & On the Fence do not cover tyre & windscreen/window damage. Sure thing Insurance covers all damage including tyre & one complete windscreen replacement or multiple windscreen chips damage.
You are required to take one of the following insurance options, please note the Worry Free Cover must be added prior to pickup and pre paid but other options can be taken on the day of pickup with no advance notice.
- The Gambler (Standard)
Insurance Liability Fee NZ$2,500
- On the Fence (Liability Reduction)
Insurance Liability Fee NZ$1,500. Pay an additional NZ$15 per day (max NZ$750)
- Sure Thing (Full cover)
Insurance Liability NIL plus added cover (see above). Pay an additional NZ$25 per day (max NZ$1250)
Worry Free Cover (Full cover plus extras)
Pay an additional NZ$40 per day (max NZ$2000) Must be added before pickup and is prepaid this includes:
- Sure Thing cover - $0 Excess/$250 Bond
- One complete windscreen replacement or multiple windscreen chips
- Multiple tyre replacement
- Bed Linen Packs (maximum 2)
- Free hire of a picnic table, and a chair for each passenger
- Extra Driver Fees
- Any and all damages or costs when the hirer is involved in a single vehicle rollover
- Any and all damages or costs when the hirer does not obey height-restricted areas and damage is caused to the hired vehicle
- All associated costs when retrieving, storing and recovering (or disposing of) the vehicle to the agreed rental location following an accident
All liability options are void if the terms of the rental agreement are breached.
Happy Campers requires a bank pre-authorisation of the insurance excess (bond) amount (or a NZ$250 minimum whichever is greater) from the hirer’s credit or debit card.
- If Standard Insurance has been taken (as per info above), the liability is payable by credit card only. Please note that this amount will be debited from your credit card immediately. The bond is fully refundable provided the vehicle is returned on time to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and with a full fuel tank. Please note the bond will be debited regardless of insurance purchased through a third party. Refunds can take 5 or more working days to be processed.
- Happy Campers reserves the right to bank the bond amount after the termination of the hire agreement to cover the cost of un-notified infringements or damage to third parties or their property.
- Where the third party causes damage, the hirer is liable for damages as specified in their rental agreement. As insurance is not compulsory in New Zealand there is no guarantee that these damages will be recovered, therefore the bond may be banked and not refunded.
- Where the vehicle has been returned during or outside office hours and the vehicle has undiscovered damage to the windscreen or body not cover by insurance, the client will be charged and sent a letter summarizing the cost of repairs.
- In the event of a replacement vehicle is given due to an accident, any excess reduction option taken is not transferable to the replacement vehicle. You must purchase a new excess reduction option for the replacement vehicle.
- Damage includes any and all damage to third party property, damage to the rented vehicle including tyres, windscreens, towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break-in or vandalism. This also includes the cost of the daily rental rate for the period the vehicle is off fleet for repair.
- You are liable for any loss of, or damage to, the vehicle and its accessories any consequential damage, loss or costs incurred by Happy Campers, including salvage costs, loss of ability to re-hire and loss of revenue; and any loss of, or damage to, vehicles and property of third parties,
arising during the term of hire, Standard excess as defined in the Rental Agreement applies
- The hirer agrees to release and indemnify Happy Campers from and against all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, expenses, harm or other misadventure which the customer may suffer or incur or become liable for as a result of the use or misuse of the vehicle.
- The liability fee is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability fee will only be refunded only if Happy Campers is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the third party. Please not that third party claims can take many months to resolve.
All Liability Reduction is void if the terms of the Rental Agreement are breached. The hirer will be responsible for the total cost of any damage.
- The driver of the vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug that affects their ability to drive the vehicle
- These terms and conditions are breached
- Negligence or wilful misconduct has occurred
- Incorrect or contaminated fuel is used (this includes running out of fuel or putting fuel in the water tank or system)
- The vehicle is used in contravention of any legislation or regulation
- The hirer takes the vehicle onto a beach or sand
- The vehicle becomes submerged, flooded, bogged or immobile
- The hirer does not obey height-restricted areas (such as, but not limited to, car parking buildings) and damage is caused to the roof of the vehicle
- The hirer is involved in a single vehicle rollover. This includes, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has rolled, tipped, or fallen over on its side
- Driving on gravel or unsealed roads (there are no restrictions on which roads the vehicle can be driven on, however, travel on gravel or unsealed roads voids all liability limitations)
- Retrieving, storing and recovering the vehicle to the agreed rental location following an accident
- The hirer has failed to stop and contact Happy Campers when a warning light appears on the dashboard
- The hirer continues to drive the vehicle following the temperature gauge moving in a direction which shows a departure from the normal operating temperature
- The hirer continues to drive the vehicle after a mechanical breakdown or failure (including an accident) has occurred
- The hirer, at Happy Campers request, does not complete an insurance claim form following an accident
We strongly recommend any international visitors arriving off long-haul flights stay overnight prior to picking up their motorhomes. Please also take the time to visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which provides educational information in regards to safe driving practices on New Zealand Roads.
Additional Hire Costs
- First driver is free, additional drivers are NZ$1 each per day unless Sure thing Package is taken.
- A Bedding Pack can be purchased for $25 and includes a queen duvet, queen sheet, 2 towels, 2 pillow cases and a tea towel. Please note that if no Bedding Pack is selected the vehicle comes with a duvet inner (or a sleeping bag) and 2 pillows complementary. If the sleeping bag is used it must be returned clean.
- A Diesel Road User Tax applies to all Diesel vehicles in NZ. The tax will be calculated and charged on return of your Camper hire based on the kilometers traveled during your hire. The costs can be obtained from our Reservations or Branch Team Members. Happy Campers reserves the right to amending the Diesel Road User Tax upon Government intervention.
- Airport transfers are complimentary
- A NZ$10 premium location surcharge may be applied for all bookings collecting from Auckland Airport and Christchurch Airport
- For all Happy Campers travelling one way between from the North Island to the South Island , there will be a one way fee of $349
- Baby seats can be requested at time of reservation at a cost of NZ$50 each.
- Snow chains can also be requested at the time of reservation at a cost of NZ$50 each per rental. Subject to availability.
- GPS $5 per day
- Camping Table & Chairs(Max 4 Chairs) $40 each per rental
- Toilet Pack (2 drop-in toilet chemical sachets, toilet paper and gloves) NZ$15
- Any unpaid infringements incurred during the rental period are transferred to the hirers name, and are subject to an additional NZ$40 administration fee over and above the infringement costs. This includes any known and unknown speeding or parking fines.
- Any unpaid Toll Road Infringements incurred during the rental period are subject to a NZ$25 administration fee.
- A fee of NZ$500 will be charged for failure to empty the grey water or toilet cassette (if applicable).
- Vehicles that are diesel will pay a Road User Tax will be charged at the end of the hire. The tax is $6.30 per 100kms. Additional kms will be charged at $0.063per km. Please note these rates are subject to change without notice.
• A $10 premium location fee applies for all bookings collecting from Auckland and Christchurch branches
• If the vehicle is not returned vacuumed and tidy, a cleaning fee of NZ$50 will apply.
• If the toilet or waste water tank (where applicable) are not returned empty, a cleaning fee of NZ$100 will apply
• All vehicles are designated smoke free. If smoking is undertaken inside the vehicle, a cleaning fee of NZ$100 will apply
Preparing for driving in New Zealand.
Driving in New Zealand is different to many other places in the world. We have a unique environment and therefore we would like to provide you with some information prior to your arrival to inform you on the differences you can expect when you are driving on New Zealand roads.
Before travelling to New Zealand, please visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which details some important information that will assist to prepare you for your trip.
New Zealand law requires that you carry a valid driver’s license at all times, and that all fields of the this license including conditions must be able to be read in English, please see http://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/new-residents-and-visitors/approved-translators/ for further information on how to obtain a license translation.
If you are flying into New Zealand on a long haul flight, we strongly recommend you stay overnight in the city you arrive in before embarking on your self-drive adventure.
Toll Notices & Infringement Fees
All traffic infringements and fines (including speeding, parking, freedom camping and toll road infringements) are the liability of the hirer. The hirer authorises Happy Campers to charge the hirer’s credit or debit card the cost of the infringement, any online payment fees, plus a processing fee. In the event notification of an infringement notice received by Happy Campers from a relevant authority that is a road or bridge toll, the processing fee is NZ$25. In the event notification for all other infringement notices or fines received by Happy Campers from a relevant authority, the processing fee is NZ$50.
Mechanical Repairs and Accidents
The hirer shall take all reasonable care to ensure that the vehicle is properly checked and maintained during the hire period. This shall include daily checks of the oil, water and tyre pressures. Mechanical breakdowns must be reported to Happy Campers as soon as possible in order to give Happy Campers the opportunity to rectify the issues during the hire.
In order to facilitate on-road repairs, Happy Campers may require the hirer to take the vehicle to an approved repairer. The hirer is not entitled to any refund unless Happy Campers has been advised of the issue, and has been given the opportunity to rectify the situation. A refund can be requested from Happy Campers if a breakdown has directly caused a delay in travel in one location of 48 hours or more. Happy Campers is not liable for any delays in rectifying a situation caused by a breakdown occurring on a weekend or public holiday
Road-side assistance - The vehicle is covered by 24 hour, 7 days road-side assistance. This service covers any mechanical malfunction or failure of the vehicle. Please note that this service does not cover failure resulting from the hirer’s actions or inaction's, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The vehicle running out of fuel or incorrect fuel being used
- The keys being locked inside the vehicle or lost
- Flat batteries caused by incorrect usage of the batteries and /or incorrect usage of any equipment that requires the batteries in order to operate
- A breakdown resulting from damage caused in an accident
- A breakdown caused by wilful neglect The hirer may be liable for a charge by the road-side assistance provider in the event assistance is required for the above.
Non-mechanical failure The failure of non-mechanical accessories such as, but not limited to, the fridge, hot water, DVD / CD player, water pump or heated towel rail do not constitute a breakdown.
GPS - Satellite Navigation Unit
- Due care should be taken with the device while rented from Happy Campers. Do not leave the unit in sight when the vehicle is unattended.
- The hirer is liable for total loss, missing or damage to the GPS unit, mount, charger and carry case to a maximum charge of NZ$300 inc GST.
- Happy Campers is not responsible for any harm, damage, loss or misadventure that occurs as a result of the use or misuse of the GPS unit.
- The hirer agrees to follow all safety and usage guidelines provided by the manufacturer and Happy Campers.
Exchange Rate / Currency Fluctuations
All transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations, there could be some variance between the amount initially debited against your credit card and the amount refunded at the expiration of the rental period. Happy Campers is not liable for such variations.
Release and Indemnity of Happy Campers Rentals
- The customer releases Happy Campers, its employees and agents, for any liability to the customer (regardless of who is at fault), for any loss or damage incurred by the customer by reason of rental, possession or use of the vehicle.
- The customer hereby indemnifies and shall keep indemnified Happy Campers, its employees and agents, against any claims, demands and expenses (including legal costs) incurred or sustained by them or any of them by reason of the customers use and/or possession of the vehicle.
- Any indemnity required of the customer shall not operate to indemnify Happy Campers in respect of any negligent act by Happy Campers.
Information is correct at time of printing but is subject to change without notice.