Kea KQ Terms & Conditions
Valid for Travel 1 April 2015 - 31 March 2016
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- Vehicle Insurance - Nil Liability
- Unlimited Kilometres
- Extra Driver Fee
- Road User Chare Recovery fee
- One Way Rental Fee
- Public Holiday Surcharge if Applicable
- Credit Card Fees
- Complimentary Transfers to/from Airport or City to Depot
- Free Toilet Chemicals
- Valet Service at Kea Depots, Min Hire 14 days-call depot 24hrs pior to arrival
- Full Gas Bottle(s) can be returned empty
- All living equipment and bedding with extra linen upon request
- Bedding Exchange available at the depots regardless of the length of rental
- Personalised vehicle introduction and comprehensive manuals
- Mulitilingual GPS navigation system
- Deluxe Camping Equipment - table and chairs
- Mobile phone SIM card
- Child & booster seat(s) on request
- Snow chains on request
- Hema Camping and Touring Atlas and extensive travel information pack
- 24/7 Roadside assistance for mechanical problems or customer service assistance
- Tourism Radio
- Gas bottle exchange -exchange empty gas bottle for a full gas bottle at KEA depots
- Toll road charges
- Express return (simply drop off keys at the return desk at the depot during opening hours – not applicable when vehicle is damaged)
- MP3 Connectivity
- Mobile WIFI
Early Bird Discount
An Early Bird Discount of 10% off the above rates applies to bookings made 120 days or more prior to vehicle pick up date. The Early Bird Discount cannot be combined with other special offers.
- Rental days are charged per calendar day. When calculating the number of days a vehicle is rented, the day of pick-up is counted as day one of the rental. The day of the vehicle‟s return is counted as the final day of the rental. Vehicles are required to be collected and returned within business hours.
- Minimum rental period is 5 days.
- Minimum rental periods are subject to change.
- When a rental moves from one rate season into the next, the calculation is based on both rates.
- The minimum rental is extended to 14 days for vehicle pick up between 20 December 2015 to 10 January 2016.
- The minimum rental is extended to 14 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being returned to the South island if the rental commences between the months of October through to March.
- Late pick-up or early return of vehicle does not entitle the hirer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental. If the customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from Reservations or any of KEA branches. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of NZ$150 in addition to the daily rate.
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. Kea does not accept liability for personal injuries sustaained during the rental and reccommend that the hirer has personal travel insurance to also cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings. Kea strongly recommends the hirer does not leave valuables in the vehicle.
An administration fee of NZ$60 may apply to process each accident claim.
#In the USA a liability is referred to as the "deductable".
All Kea vehicles are insured for the damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer will not have to pay any liability at all for any damage to the vehicle or property of a Third Party with the exeption of the 'exclusions'. This cover includes unlimited tyre and windscreen cover, overhead and underbody as well as single vehicle accident and single vehicle roll over damage.
Long Term Rental
Rates are for 5 to 14 days, they are discounted at 15 to 20 days, 21 to 27 days and 28 to 49 days (up to 15%) Contact us for the best rate for hires 50 days or more.
Should a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the vehicle rate. Consecutive motorhome hire in South Africa for KEA, maui and Britz; Australia for KEA, maui, Britz and Mighty and in New Zealand for KEA, maui, Britz and Mighty can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period.
For all rentals to qualify each booking needs to be made at the same time. If a customer makes another booking at a later time, the new booking can be combined to qualify if the vehicle collection date/s are within a 3-month period however, the original booking/s will only qualify for a discount if the booking/s are not already travelling or travelled.
Longer term discounts must be requested at the time of booking.
For vehicles that pick up and drop off on the same day, the less expensive rental day will be free of charge.
Pick Up and Drop Off Locations
KEA depots are located in Auckland and Christchurch. Vehicles must be picked up and dropped off at a KEA depot. Other pick up and drop off locations are available on special request and a relocation fee subject to location may apply.
Branch Operating Hours
Monday to Sunday 08:00am - 4.30pm
All branches are closed on Christmas Day (25 December)
Important: Bond Payments by Credit Card
Upon vehicle collection, a vehicle security deposit of NZ$250 is required. The vehicle security deposit is applicable regardless if the hirer has purchased private travel insurance.
For security purposes, only a credit card can be used to provide a vehicle security deposit. The credit card holder must be present and able to sign for the vehicle security deposit upon vehicle collection. The credit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle. Any type of pre-paid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a vehicle security deposit. Visa and MasterCard debit cards are acceptable provided the card is being used as a credit card.
The security deposit is fully refundable on return of the KEA vehicle to the agreed location, on the agreed date in a clean and tidy condition, with a full tank of diesel fuel, the toilet cassette clean and emptied and no equipment lost or damaged.
KEA reserves the right to retain a NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and wastewater tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
Cancellation & Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- If cancelled anytime up to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit or 20%
(Whichever is higher)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Changes to the drop off rental location after the rental has commenced must be approved by KEA resaervations. If approved a minimum charge of NZ$750 applies.
Rental extension, whilst on rental, must be approved by KEA reservations, The extra cost must be paid on confirmation of the rental extension.
We strongly recommend any international visitors arriving off long-haul flights stay overnight prior to picking up their motorhomes. Please also take the time to visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which provides educational information in regards to safe driving practices on New Zealand Roads.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
Change of Vehicle
If, for any reasons beyond our control, the reserved vehicle is not available, Kea reserves the right to substitute a comparable or superior vehicle at no extra cost to the client. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the renter to any form of refund.
Vehicle Category Downgrade / Upgrade
Vehicles cannot be requested by model, mileage or age, only by vehicle category*. Should the hirer decide to take a lesser category vehicle than booked within 14 days of pick up or during the rental, no refund will be paid. In the case of an upgrade the rate difference is payable.
*Some features may vary between models
Reservation an Deposit
At time of booking a 20% deposit is payable. The final balance is due 28 days prior to commencement of the rental. If the balance is not received 28 days prior, KEA reserves the right to treat the booking as cancelled.
Licence & Minimum Age
A valid full (non provisional) national drivers licence is required. Non-English language national drivers licences must be presented in conjunction with an official translation or valid international drivers licence. The minimum age is 21 years - no maximum age. Additional drivers must meet all KEA rental requirements and be at the depot at the time of vehicle pick up and sign the rental agreement.
KEA vehicles can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well-maintained roads. No vehicle shall be driven on the following roads.
- Skippers Road (Queenstown)
- The Crown Range Road (Queenstown)
- 90 Mile Beach (Northland)
- North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula).
KEA reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions, or due to any concerns KEA may have regarding driver experience or ability.
Smoking & Animal Restrictions
Smoking in Kea vehicles is strictly prohibited, and any offenders will be charged a fume removal fee of NZ$500. Animals are also not permitted in any Kea vehicle and the same cleaning fee will apply.
Limit of Liability
If, for reasons beyond control, no vehicle is available to the hirer, Kea's liability is limited to a refund of the hire charge in full. In the case of mechanical failure (unless caused by the hirer), Kea's liability will be limited to the hire charge for the remainder of the hire period.
Repairs up to NZ$200 may be effected without authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. For amounts over NZ$200, KEA will need to be informed in advance.
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to KEA as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give KEA the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compensation. KEA does not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact us on free phone: 0800 788 558
The hirer is liable for all fines and penalties in relation to the drivers use of the vehicle or the vehicle itself incurred during the rental period plus an administration fee of NZ$60 for each infringement or penalty notice that has been redirected by Kea to the hirer.
Responsibilities of the Hirer
All liability cover will be made void if any of the following ‘Exclusions’ are breached:
1. Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental.
2. Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to:
a) any vehicle submersion
b) creek or river crossing
c) driving through flooded areas
d) beach driving
3. Personal belongings. KEA recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings.
4. Any damage caused by wilful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle).
5.Any damage to the vehicle or any third party‟s vehicle or property where the customer is deemed by local authorities to have been careless, negligent or wilful in failing to abide by the local road rules.
6. Damage caused to the vehicle due to the use of snow chains.
7. Any damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. or negligence.
8. The Customer will be liable for any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel.
9. The cost of retrieving or recovering a vehicle which may include, but is not limited to, a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned, in each case in circumstances within the control of the customer.
10. The cost to replace keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys, which have been locked in a vehicle.
11. The vehicle rented may only be used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed KEA does not accept any liability.
121. Drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers that have a licence that has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence
All vehicles must be returned to the agreed location, on the agreed date in clean condition with no damage incurred to the Kea vehicle or third party property, KEA reserves the right to retain a NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and wastewater tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
Vehicle must be returned with a full fuel tank. Refueling at our depot will be charged au NZ$3 per litre plus a handling fee of NZ$25.
First Aid Kit
A comprehensive, high quality First Aid Kit is supplied in each vehicle. If the seal is broken or the kit is not returned, a fee of NZ$35 is charged at the time of vehicle drop off.
Rates, Terms & Conditions are subject to change without notice. Whilst including the same facilities, some vehicles may have different layouts to those shown. All measurements and volumes shown are approximate. The information provided on the website is subject to change without notice.
Any claims or legal action in connection with the provision of Kea's services to the client will be governed by the laws of New Zealand. Any claim or legal action against Discovery Rentals is subject to the Terms & Conditions as per our contract with Kea Campers.