Mighty Terms and Conditions
Travel 01 April 2016- 31 March 2017
This document contains a summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full detailed Conditions refer to the Rental Agreement on pick-up.
Branch Opening Hours
Branches are open all public holidays except Christmas Day (25 December).
A NZ$50surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National Public Holidays.
Standard Package Rates inclusions
- Vehicle Insurance - Standard Liability
- Unlimited Kilometres (Diesel Tax charged/100km- see RUCRF* note below)
- Kitchen Equipment
- Bedding & Linen
- Return Airport Transfers
- 15% GST (Goods & Services Tax)
- 24 hour Roadside Assistance
- Maps & Campground Guides
- Driver goes free to Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Liability Reduction Options
- Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF) if applicable
- Extra Driver Fees
- Refundable Vehicle Security Deposit
- Fuel and LPG Costs
- One-way Fees and Location Fees if applicable
- Public Holiday surcharge
*Road User Charge Recovery Fee (RUCRF)
The Road User Charge Recovery Fee is included in the Express Return Pack. If the Express Return Pack has not been purchased the Road User Charge Recovery Fee will be calculated and collected on return of the vehicle based on the kilometres travelled during the hire.
The vehicle rates per 100 km are as follows:
|Vehicle||Cost per 100km|
|2 Berth (toilet and shower)||NZ$6.22|
|2 Berth Diesel||NZ$6.22|
|4 Berth(non toilet and shower)||NZ$6.22|
Mighty reserves the right to amend the Road User Charge Recovery Fee in response to
changes in Government Road User Charges.
Express Return Pack
$299 - Deuce, Double Up & Big 6
$249 - Jackpot & Double Down
Includes the following
- Return Gas Bottle Empty
- Return Fuel Tank Empty
- Toilet & Waste Water Emptying Service
- Road User Recovery Fee
- Express Key Return
This is only available when the Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package has been purchased.
Stress Free Package
The Stress Free Package is payable per day in addition to the daily rental rate as follows:
- Jackpot & Double Down - NZ$39 per day (max NZ$1,950 per rental)
- Deuce, Double Up & Big 6 - NZ$49 per day (max NZ$2,450 per rental)
Stress Free Package inclusions as follows (this is in addition to the Standard Package inclusions):
- Liability Reduction (NIL liability)
- Single Rollover Cover
- Wifi (including 1GB data)
- Extra Driver Fees
- Linen Exchange
- Tyre and Windscreen Cover* (valued at $5 per day)
- Camp Chairs (1 per person travelling)
- Camp Table
- Baby / Booster Seat - On Request (Cannot be fitted in some categories)
- Portable Fan Heater if required
*Unlimited windscreen and tyres will be covered for accidental damage
*Note that tyre and windscreen cover is only available with the Stress Free Package and cannot be purchased separately
It is strongly recommended to purchase the Stress Free Package for travel with peace of mind.
Credit and Debit Cards
The credit or debit card holder will be jointly and severally liable as a customer. Accepted credit and debit cards are Visa Card and MasterCard. A non-refundable 2% administration fee will apply to all Visa and MasterCard transactions. Credit card administration fees also apply to debited vehicle security deposits and only the hirer’s credit and debit card is acceptable to use for the purpose of the vehicle security deposit.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic Credit cards are not accepted for Bond Payments. An electronic credit card is one where the numbers are not raised.
FOR YOUR PROTECTION
New Zealand legislation provides limited coverage for personal injury. Mighty does not accept any liability for personal injuries sustained during the rental and recommend the hirer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they have personal travel insurance to cover for the loss/damage of personal belongings. Mighty strongly recommends that all people travelling in New Zealand take out personal travel insurance.
# In the USA a liability is referred to as the “deductible”.
All Vehicles are insured for the damage to the vehicle or to the property of a Third Party. The hirer is responsible for the first NZ$3,500 for the Jackpot and Double Down Motorhomes and NZ$5,000 for the Deuce, Double Up & Big 6 Motorhome of the cost of damage to Third Party property or to the rented vehicle, including single vehicle accident (does not include single vehicle roll over), windscreen and tyre damage, towing and recovery costs, theft, fire, break in or vandalism with the exception of the exclusions. This also includes the cost of the daily rental for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs (demurrage). In addition to these costs, an administration fee of NZ$60 may apply, per claim.
The liability is applicable regardless of who is at fault and must be paid at the time the accident report is completed, not at the completion of the rental. The liability will be refunded if Mighty is successful in recovering the cost of the damages from the Third Party. Please note that Third Party claims can take months to resolve.
The liability applies in respect of each claim, not rental.
Please see the Exclusions section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.
The liability can be reduced, by the purchase of Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package.
Liability Reduction (LRO1)
|Cost per day||Liability Fee||Vehicle|
|$29 (max NZ$1,450)||NZ$0||Jackpot & Double Down|
|$39 (max NZ$1,950)||NZ$0||Deuce, Double Up & Big 6|
When Liability Reduction Option 1 has been purchased, the hirer will have no Liability at all with the exception of the exclusions.
Note Liability Reduction Option 1 is included in the Stress Free Package.
Stress Free Package
|Cost per day||Liability Fee||Vehicle|
|$39 (max NZ$1,950)||NZ$0||Jackpot & Double Down|
|$49 (max NZ$2,450)||NZ$0||Deuce, Double Up & Big 6|
Tyre and Windscreen Damage
Value per day is NZ$5
Tyre and Windscreen cover cannot be purchased separately it is included in the Stress Free Package.
Please see the Exclusions section below, whereby all liability cover will be made void.It is recommended to all customers to take the Stress Free Package for travel with peace of mind.
All liability cover will be made void if any of the following Exclusions are breached:
- Any damage caused by wilful misconduct (e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the vehicle) or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or negligence.
- Any loss or damage to personal belongings or property of the customer (or any person or entity related to the customer). Mighty recommends the customer does not leave valuables in the vehicle and that they take out personal travel insurance.
- Any damage where the customer is charged by local authorities for being careless, showing gross negligence or wilfulness in failing to abide by the local road rules.
- Retrieving or recovering a vehicle, which may include, but is not limited to a vehicle that has become bogged, submerged, caught, trapped, stuck or restricted in anyway and/or has been abandoned, in each chase in circumstances within the control of the customer.
- Replacing keys, which have been lost or stolen, or retrieval of keys which have been locked in a vehicle.
- Overhead and underbody damage to the vehicle however caused, except where Liability Reduction Option or the Mighty Inclusive Pack has been purchased. 7
- Any single vehicle rollover except where the Mighty Inclusive Pack has been purchased.
- Damage caused to the vehicle because total load (kg) has exceeded recommended load as stated in vehicle manual. Vehicles are not to be used for the purpose of transporting and haulage of goods other than what might be reasonably expected of a leisure rental. 9
- Damage caused by drivers not identified on the rental agreement and/or drivers whose licence has been cancelled or suspended and/or drivers who have a licence that is classified as a learners or probationary licence.
- Any damage caused to the vehicle due to the use of snow chains. 1
- Any damage associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol), which includes Bio-Diesel which should not be used, or water or other contamination of fuel. 1
- Any water related damage which includes, but is not limited to, vehicle submersion, contact with salt water, creek or river c rossings, driving through flooded areas and beach driving.
- The vehicle rented may only be used to carry the maximum number of passengers as dictated by the vehicle type. If more passengers are carried than what is allowed Mighty does not accept any liability
Vehicle Security Deposit
Upon vehicle collection, a vehicle security deposit is required. The amount is determined by the Liability Reduction Option Selected. The vehicle security deposit is applicable regardless if hirer has purchased private travel insurance.
The customer must provide a valid credit card to pay the Liability Deposit and the amount will be debitedto the customer’s credit card on the day of vehicle collection. The credit card holder must be present and able to sign for the Liability Deposit upon vehicle collection. The c redit card holder is jointly and severally liable for any damage to the rental vehicle. Any type of pre-paid travel card is not acceptable as a means to provide a Liability Deposit.
The Liability Deposit is subject to a 2% credit card administration fee in addition to the Liability Deposit amount when the credit card used is either a Visa or MasterCard, or 4.6% when the credit card used is American Express.
(Discovery Rentals cannot accept American Express, these cards can only be used at time of pick up)
If a Liability Reduction Option is not selected, the vehicle security deposit is NZ$5,000 for the Deuce and Double Up and NZ$3,500 for all other motorhomes payable by credit card.
The NZ$3,500 or NZ$5,000 is debited to the hirers card when the vehicle is collected. For this reason it is important that the hirer have the funds available on the credit card and that the amount does not exceed the hirers daily withdrawal allowance available on the credit card.
If Liability Reduction Option or the Stress Free Package are booked, the vehicle security deposit is NZ$250.
The NZ$250 is taken as an authorisation to the hirers credit card when the vehicle is collected. An authorisation simply records a figure against the hirers credit card of NZ$250 that Mighty can then debit if required.
The vehicle security deposit is fully refundable, including the applicable credit card surcharge if the card used to provide the vehicle security deposit is a Visa or MasterCard, provided the vehicle is returned on time, to the correct location, undamaged, in a clean condition with full fuel tanks (fuel being petrol or diesel) and gas bottle. Except where the customer has purchased the Express Return Pack, failure to return the vehicle with full petrol or diesel tanks and/or a full LPG bottle will result in refill charges, which will be advised upon return of the vehicle. Failure to adhere to these requirements will result in additional charges plus an administration fee of $50.
Mighty reserves the right to retain an NZ$250 cleaning fee if the vehicle is not returned in a clean condition. This includes smoking related cleaning, as smoking is not permitted in the vehicle. The toilet and waste water tank must be emptied prior to the return of the vehicle, or an additional NZ$125 soiling fee will be retained.
FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, ONLY THE HIRERS CREDIT CARD CAN BE USED FOR VEHICLE SECURITY DEPOSITS.
We strongly recommend any international visitors arriving off long-haul flights stay overnight prior to picking up their motorhomes. Please also take the time to visit www.drivesafe.org.nz which provides educational information in regards to safe driving practices on New Zealand Roads.
- Minimum rental period is 5 days.
- Minimum rental period is 10 daysfor hires where travel dates include 20 December to 10 January.
- Minimum rental period is 10 days when a vehicle is being collected from the North Island and is being returned to the South Island if the rental commences between the months of October through to March.
- Minimum rental period is subject to change during peak periods.
- Late pick-up or early return of vehicle does not entitle the customer to any refund of the unused portion of the rental.
- Mighty pick up is a self-service process and requires the customer to have completed Self Check-In online or in the branch. If additional service is required from a Mighty staff member, a fee of $50may apply.
- If a customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from Mighty (call 0800 422 267). The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original rate booked. Failure to obtain authoris ation will result in a daily fee of $150 in addition to the daily rate.
- Important – please specify accurate pick up and drop off times. Pick up and drop off outside of these times may cause a delay and impact the time spent at the branch.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$100 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 April and 30 September.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$250 applies where pick up originates from Auckland and returns to Christchurch or Queenstown, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$150 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch or Queenstown and returns to Auckland, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$50 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch to Queenstown or vice versa, where pick-up is between 01 April and 30 September.
A one-way rental fee of NZ$75 applies where pick up originates from Christchurch or Queenstown or vice versa, where pick-up is between 01 October and 31 March.
The one-way fee if applicable is charged per hire.
Minimum one-way rental period requirements are subject to change.
Queenstown Location Fee
A location fee of NZ$95 applies to all campervans with showers and toilets picking up or dropping off in Queenstown.
If the pickup and drop off occurs in the same city , only one location fee will apply. One way fees will apply if applicable.
Public Holiday Surcharge
A $50 surcharge will apply to all rentals picking up and/or dropping off on National public holidays
- New Years Day (1st January)
- Day after New Years Day (2nd January)
- Waitangi Day (6th February)
- Good Friday (3rd April)
- Easter Monday (6th April)
- ANZAC Day (25th April)
- Queens Birthday (1nd June)
- Labour Day (26th October)
- Boxing Day (26th December)
Additional products and services
- Camp Table - NZ$25 per rental
- Camp Chair - NZ$18 per rental
- Extra Driver Fees - NZ$1 per day, per driver (max charge $NZ30), per hire
- Baby/Booster - NZ$36 per rental (cannot be fitted in some vehicle categories)
- Portable Shower Hire - NZ$16 per rental
- Electrical Adaptor - NZ$14 for purchase
- Portable Heater - NZ$16 per rental
- Snow Chains - NZ$36 per rental
- First Aid Kit - NZ$35 for purchase
- Souvenir Atlas - NZ$25 for purchase
- GPS - NZ$10 per day (max charge of NZ$100)
- Pre-purchase Gas Option (PGO) - NZ$28-$38 depending on vehicle.
- Single Vehicle Rollover Cover - $99 per rental
Note the Single Vehicle Rollover Cover, Camp Chair and Table are included in the Stress Free Package.
The Bundle $10 per day (maximum charge $500)
The extras bundle includes the following:
Single vehicle rollover cover ... valued $100
Wifi including 1GB of data ...... valued $95
Extra Driver Fees ....valued $1 per extra driver, per day
Picnic Table .... valued $25 per rental
Picnic chairs (chairs per person travelling) .... $18 per rental, per chair
Baby/Booster seat,on request ..... $36 per rental, per seat
Portable Fan ....... $16 per rental
If the customer wishes to extend the rental whilst on hire, they must first obtain authorisation from Reservations or any of the Mighty Branches. The rental extension is subject to vehicle availability. The cost of an extended rental must be paid by credit card over the telephone on confirmation of the rental extension. The rate charged may not reflect the original date booked. Failure to obtain authorisation will result in a daily fee of NZ$150 in addition to the daily rate.
Change of Location
If the customer wishes to change the drop-off destination from what was oriinally booked, permission must be first obtained from reservations.
Subject to the change being approved, an additional charge of up to NZ$750 may apply.
Mighty offers a shuttle transfer between our Auckland branch and Auckland Airport, Christchurch Branch and Christchurch Airport and Queenstown Branch and Queenstown Airport.
Infringements and Administration Fees
Mighty reserves the right to charge the hirer for any speeding, toll way, parking or freedom camping fines and/or vehicle damage including Third Party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle. In addition to these costs Mighty reserve the right to charge for associated administration costs for processing of fines (irrespective of liability) and/or claims in the event of the customer not having a NIL liability. In addition to the costs assocaited per fine and/or cliam, an administration fee of NZ$60 will be applicable. This fee will be applicable per offence.
If the Customer continues to exceed a speed of 110km or continues to exceed the posted speed limit, as determined by the Customer repeatedly ignoring the warnings of the telematics system fitted into the Vehicle, Mighty may impose a fee on the Customer in the amount of AU$300.
Exchange Rate / Currency Variations
All credit card transactions are conducted in New Zealand dollars. Due to exchange rate fluctuations and bank transaction fees there could be some variance in the amount refunded compared to the amount initially charged. Mighty does not accept any liability for variances up or down.
A current and full motor vehicle driver’s licence is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an accredited English translation. The translation must be provided by a NZ Transport Agency authorised translation service or a diplomatic representative at a high commission, embassy or consulate, or the authority that issued your overseas licence (an International Driving
Permit may be acceptable as a translation if in English).
A current and full motor vehicle driver’s licence is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current international driving permit issued in the same country as the driver’s licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit. Drivers must be 21 years of age or over. If the rented vehicle is a Jackpot or Double Down; drivers must be 18 years of age or over.
Multiple RentalsShould a customer have more than one consecutive rental they can be combined to qualify for longer-term hire discounts off the daily vehicle rates. Details are on application.
Campervans can only be driven on sealed/bitumen or well maintained roads.
No vehicle is permitted to travel on:
- Skippers Road (Queenstown)
- the Crown Range Road (Queenstown),
- Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
- Ball Hut Road (Mt Cook)
- North of Colville Township (Coromandel Peninsula)
- All Ski Field access roads (from 1 June to 31 October)
Mighty reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Customer Care On-Road Assistance
Any problems associated with the vehicle, including equipment failure, must be reported to Mighty as soon as possible and within 24 hours in order to give Mighty the opportunity to rectify the problem during the rental. Failure to do so will compromise any claims for compenstion. We do not accept liability for any claims submitted after this period.
Please contact us toll free on: 0800 788 558
Repairs up to NZ$200 may be affected wthout authorisation and will be reimbursed upon presentation of a receipt. For amounts over NZ$200, Mighty will need to be informed in advance. Repairs will be approved provided the customer was not directly responsible for the damage. Receipts must be submitted for any repair or the claim will not be paid.
Change of Vehicle
Should the vehicle booked be unavailable through unforeseen circumstances, Mighty reserves the right to substitute an alternative vehicle without prior notification and at no extra cost. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the hirer to a refund.
Vehicles cannot be requested by make or model, only by vehicle category.
Should the hirer decide to take a lesser vehicle than booked they will not be entitled to any refund.
Cancellation and Amendments
You must put any request to Cancel or Amend in writing or we cannot action. The date of the email will determine the following Cancellation fees:
- FREE cancellation on all bookings up to 45 days prior to pick-up*
- If cancelled from 44 to 22 days prior to pick-up = Loss of deposit or 20%
(whichever is higher)
- If cancelled from 21 to 7 days prior to pick-up = 20% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled 6 to 1 days prior to pick-up = 50% + $100 admin fee
- If cancelled on day of pick up or No-Show = 100%
* Valid for new bookings from 1st April 2016
If vehicle is returned early there is no refund available for the unused days and a No Show is considered as 100% Cancellation.
Amendments: $50 per change. This applies but is not limited to changing the client name, vehicle type, reducing the number of rental days, changing the pickup dates or locations. If rental is shortened, no refund will be given on the initial deposit. In addition, if an amendment is made inside 14 days of pick up, the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may also apply if the collection or return location is amended. Where the hire is being extended, the amendment fee will not apply.
If the amendment results in changing vehicle brands your deposit is non transferable.
Amendments may result in the daily rental rate to be recalculated at the rate applicable on the date of the amendment for the entire rental period.
Mighty reserves the right to refuse any rental at its discretion.
No animals are permitted in our vehicles, excluding guide dogs.
Personal and Company Cheques
Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted as payment for any balances due at the time of pick-up. If you wish to pay your rental to Discovery Rentals in advance you must advise us first and cheque must be received by 5 days prior to payment due date by posting to P.O Box 270 Springwood QLD 4127.
We will not honour calculation errors. Should a calculation error occur we will charge for the shortfall.Note: Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.